setting location of show cache on display machine?

eameres

Hi,

Hopefully I am just missing something simple. I have a machine with a SSD system disk and a RAID array of multiple SSDs to give my display machine lots of media bandwidth (I plan on playing multiple HD videos at once). Is there a way to move the cache folder to another location? I want the cache to be on the RAID rather than the system disk. Do I just have to move the whole application folder there? Seems like a preference setting would be in order, but I can't find that.

Thanks,

Eric.

Hi,

Hopefully I am just missing something simple. I have a machine with a SSD system disk and a RAID array of multiple SSDs to give my display machine lots of media bandwidth (I plan on playing multiple HD videos at once). Is there a way to move the cache folder to another location? I want the cache to be on the RAID rather than the system disk. Do I just have to move the whole application folder there?

No, do not move the application folder.

You must install it there, do not move it there.

If it is not installed there, use the add / remove software control panel (or whatever they are calling it this time around)

and uninstall WATCHOUT, then reinstall it in the correct location.

Seems like a preference setting would be in order, but I can not find that.

Thanks,

Eric.

There is a way to do this and it is covered in a post in this forum - Forcing WO display pc's to use second disk

However, it is better to do what is mentioned above, it will always work the same.

If you use the modified shortcut trick in that post, start from the wrong shortcut and the show will "disappear".

And before anyone asks, I'll answer the logical next question ...
"If it is better to install WATCHOUT in the desired location, why does the ShowPath switch exist?"

Before WATCHOUT 5, this was needed much more, still has relevance in some systems today.
I use the ShowPath switch (documented in the linked post above)
to create a single backup computer that is preloaded as backup for multiple display computers.

When preparing a single computer to be ready as a backup for multiple display computers ...

For each display computer to be backed up, on the single backup computer:

• create a unique folder (I name the folder with the display name from the show file combined with the last field of the IP address)
  • create a unique shortcut for each display computer with the ShowPath command to point at its corresponding folder (I collect these on the desktop and name each one the same name as the folder it points at)

For each display computer to be backed up ...
  • set the computer's IP address to the address of the display computer to be backed up
  • start watchpoint from the shortcut setup for the display that corresponds to that IP address
  • open watchmaker and go online, populating the folder for that display computer
  • rinse, repeat i.e. quit watchpoint, repeat from above step "set the computer's IP address..." to preload for each display computer.

When it is time to use it as a backup, two steps,
  • set the IP address to match the computer being replaced
  • copy the shortcut for that display position to startup items.

Restart - good to go wink.png

• 3 years later...