Large graphic over two displays

bgarrett

Hello all,

I have a project with two projector edge blended with 25% overap. The two displays total 1792x768. I made a jpeg graphic that is 7168x3072. 4x the size of my displays. I made 4x larger so I can scale it down over 4 minutes. As the graphic starts to scale down it plays smooth, but as it gets to around 35% scale it starts to stutter/jitter and playback rough. The graphic is only 7mb. Would the size of the graphic be bogging down the display computer? If so, is there another way to do this?

Thanks,

Bg

Hi,

two workarounds (besides changing size and/or format of the JPG) I can think of:

-Play it live through a capture card using Keynote, Powerpoint or what ever you like.

-or: make a video of your scaling picture in e.g. Premiere,AE,Motion, Final Cut... and then play the video from your WO timeline (perhaps you could even try writing the video from Watchout)

Dimi

Hello all,

I have a project with two projector edge blended with 25% overap. The two displays total 1792x768. I made a jpeg graphic that is 7168x3072. 4x the size of my displays. I made 4x larger so I can scale it down over 4 minutes. As the graphic starts to scale down it plays smooth, but as it gets to around 35% scale it starts to stutter/jitter and playback rough. The graphic is only 7mb. Would the size of the graphic be bogging down the display computer? If so, is there another way to do this?

Thanks,

Bg

The issue you describe is common to v1-4, addressed in v5.

What version are you using?

As for the file size of the jpeg, it is irrelevant.

All that matters is the pixel count.

WATCHOUT converts all bitmap files to a common internal file format

prior to playback (that is what the caching process is during upload).

In v1-4 the cached image data was stored in only its original pixel count.

.e. a 1920x1080 5 gb Photoshop file with transparency

and a 1920x10 10 Mb jpeg file 

are exactly the same once they have been prepared (cached)

in the display computer prior to playback.

v5 stores multiple pre-downscaled copies in the common internal file format.

This should reduce the processor load to avoid the stuttering observed.

Other causes could be upcoming media pre-loading.

That can often be identified by looking at the cue relationships on the timeline.

If needed, manually adjust pre-roll time on movies so that they pre-roll before the stuttering effect,

or load stills earlier (before the stuttering effect) at 0 opacity

and ramping them up when needed.

You will rarely hit the ceiling on graphics card memory (many, many bitmaps loaded at the same time),

you will more often hit the ceiling on DMA transfer from the hard drive to the GPU,

which can cause effects to stutter.