timecode question

RayS

trying to get some info on triggering watchout sequences with timecode from an external comp...how fast does it lock up? is it reliable? anything else I should be aware of doing it this way? any suggestions? is midi(note ? program ch.) better adapted to this?

Also I see form the manual that I could control thru the tcip port or line in....which is best for timecode??? or is the tcip port only for controlling the production comp with timecode

Thanks

RayS

Timecode is preferable to MIDI (note, controller) or other control protocols if the goal is to keep the WATCHOUT timeline in precise lock-step with the timeline of another system. If so, this other system provides a timecode feed wich is received and accurately tracked by WATCHOUT. This can not really be accomplished by any of the other means of control.

The other methods are more geared towards triggering actions in WATCHOUT from external source. Once triggere, each action runs on the internal WATCHOUT timing. This provides a great deal of flexibility, but is not intended to time-lock the WATCHOUT actions to parallell flows of events in other systems, the way timecode is.

So you need to have a good understanding of both the other system(s) and WATCHOUT, as well as the ultimate goal of their integration, in order to choose the best method for connecting the systems together.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Timecode is preferable to MIDI (note, controller) or other control protocols if the goal is to keep the WATCHOUT timeline in precise lock-step with the timeline of another system. If so, this other system provides a timecode feed wich is received and accurately tracked by WATCHOUT.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks for the information Mike, I plan to trigger  watchout from Digital performer in order to preserve the ability to playback multitrack audio files.....right now acting as the show's the audio designer I don't yet have access to our watchout system to test this but will in a few weeks once production starts.....so my basic question is can I send MTC to the ethernet port on the watchout computer? or do you have other suggestion and how fast does watchout lock up to incoming timecode? (for rehearsals)?

Thanks

Ray

From the WATCHOUT 5.2 manual, a good read, P84-85, TIMECODE CONTROL:

"WATCHOUT can accept a standard timecode signal for controlling the main

timeline. This timecode synchronization feature uses the LTC format according
to the EBU or SMPTE standards. You can control either the production
computer or the display cluster.

To control the production computer, select the “Timecode Control of Main
Timeline” checkbox under Preferences, Control (as seen on the previous page).
Specify the timecode format and any offset to be applied. Connect the timecode
signal to Line In connector of the production computer. Starting the timecode
feed should now start the main timeline at the position specified by the timecode.

IMPORTANT: Make sure that the correct sound input port is selected in the
Sound Control Panel shown to the left, and that the input volume is turned
up, indicated by the green bar next to the active recording device.

You can use the separate Timecode Tester application (see next page) on the
production computer to troubleshoot any timecode issues.
HINT: Add a “Timecode Position” item to the Status window to view the
current timecode being received. See “Status Window” on page 112.."

MIDI Timecode, MTC, is not supported.

/jonas

From the WATCHOUT 5.2 manual, a good read, P84-85, TIMECODE CONTROL:

"WATCHOUT can accept a standard timecode signal for controlling the main

timeline. This timecode synchronization feature uses the LTC format according
to the EBU or SMPTE standards. You can control either the production
computer or the display cluster.

To control the production computer, select the “Timecode Control of Main
Timeline” checkbox under Preferences, Control (as seen on the previous page).
Specify the timecode format and any offset to be applied. Connect the timecode
signal to Line In connector of the production computer. Starting the timecode
feed should now start the main timeline at the position specified by the timecode.

IMPORTANT: Make sure that the correct sound input port is selected in the
Sound Control Panel shown to the left, and that the input volume is turned
up, indicated by the green bar next to the active recording device.

You can use the separate Timecode Tester application (see next page) on the
production computer to troubleshoot any timecode issues.
HINT: Add a “Timecode Position” item to the Status window to view the
current timecode being received. See “Status Window” on page 112.."

MIDI Timecode, MTC, is not supported.

/jonas

Jonas, thanks for your reply,

I have read the manual but 2 things struck me when reading the timecode reference paragraph..chapter 5 page 83 entitled "External Control" shows the possibility to control a show computer through the TC/IP port....I just wanted to be sure whether this was or not  available for control through the timecode feature?!.....also, since I am the sound designer for the show and production manager I don't  use watchout myself, I have spoken with our video tech and he's never used the timecode functions in watchout before as our shows have never necessitated this feature, so before I can spec Dataton for this particular production,I do need to know more about the timecode hence the apparent "basic" questions on the subject, and because he only speaks french I offered to ask some of these rather basic questions on your Forum. So then can you tell me how fast  watchout locks to the incoming timecode...i.e fast ?instant ?or takes a while? or several seconds or ???

Thanks you

RayS

Jonas, thanks for your reply,

I have read the manual but 2 things struck me when reading the timecode reference paragraph..chapter 5 page 83 entitled "External Control" shows the possibility to control a show computer through the TC/IP port....I just wanted to be sure whether this was or not  available for control through the timecode feature?!

No, there is no provision to receive timecode via TCP/IP. By definition, SMPTE/EBU timecode is an audio signal.

The specs allow for anachronistic analog anomalies like wow and flutter, off speed, etc.

... So then can you tell me how fast  watchout locks to the incoming timecode...i.e fast ?instant ?or takes a while? or several seconds or ???

Hi Ray,

I've never measured this, but more or less instantly, I would say.

/jonas

When we tested timecode chase, we were surprised how fast the timeline locked to timecode.

Of course, with a random jump there may be some "paint up" time.

but the stills we tested with were pretty snappy.

I would recommend you set the timecode specific format instead of 'auto detect',

this seems to help in repeatability and lock up speed.

---

Not that this may apply to RayS, but often when I am asked about TC lock up time,

the user intends to trigger cues (start / stop) with timecode.

Note, while TC does lock very quickly, it deliberately releases slowly.

So timecode is not well suited to cueing / stopping during performance.

If you must, allow for some coasting (and snap back) at the pause point.

thanks JFK .

Hello Ray,

FYI, the demo version of WO Production is fully functional with respect to accepting timecode/midi/tcpip info, so you can do your tests for response time, etc before the actual machine with licences arrive.

Thoams Leong

Thoams, I on a mac! (digital performer) we do have a full watchout rig but it is on the road right now,,,,I will be able to test this next week when the WO rig comes back at the shop. Just needed the detailed info to bring at our production meetings as alternatives for playing back synced audio and video files for our next show.

Thanks for your input.

RayS

• 4 months later...