Output strings on same TCP connection of controlling application?

Orf Quarenghi

Hi.
I'm writing a C# application that will interact with WatchOut.

I will send commands and receive notifications. To do that should I open two connections, one as a client to issue commands to WatchOut and another as a server to receive notifications from WatchOut Outputs? Is there a way to get Outputs in the same connection I use to send commands - and to receive errors?

Thank you for reading.

®f

An entry that you define in the Output Window, in my case one that sends a string with TCP protocol.

My application needs to know when a timeline has reached its end, so I put there an Output that sends a string.

Everything works OK, but my application has to manage two connections:

• A client connection to issue commands - and to receive both errors and command ID tags for acknowledge
  • A server connection, to which WatchOut will connect to send the string defined in the Output cue when the moment comes.

I'm asking if there's a way to handle both streams of communication using only the client connection.   

®f

At some point there was a feature that sent a messag if you named a Control cue with a leading colon (if memory serves me correctly). At least the display software did that, to its primary controller. Perhaps that "hack" is still in there? Worth giving a try. Test it with a telnet client to see if you get something back when running over such a control cue.

Mike

On 3/27/2020 at 12:41 PM, Mike Fahl said:

At some point there was a feature that sent a messag if you named a Control cue with a leading colon (if memory serves me correctly). At least the display software did that, to its primary controller. Perhaps that "hack" is still in there? Worth giving a try. Test it with a telnet client to see if you get something back when running over such a control cue.

Mike

FYI that 'feature' only works for control cues in the main timeline. And it only works in cluster mode, it does not work in production mode.The sting is sent to an active control connection (port 3039).