Wake Up on LAN for WatchMax Sever

Pixel Native

• Dataton Partner

Please note that you should have turned off the display server via production at least once in order to be able to start the server from production. At least, that's my experience.

Thanks for the reply,

My WATCHMAX is most definitely not set...

I can remote power down, but I cannot remote power up.

And I need to urgently...

After the power down, did you switch off the source power supply, or off the power switch to the the computer's psu. If you did, then remote power off won't work.

Additionally, after the power down, and without powering off the source power supply, have a look at the LAN adapter connection from the rear of the motherboard. If the 2 lights are not on (yellow blinking, and a steady red for the other light), then your motherboard does not support WOL despite, I think, the BIOS setting. From my experience, it seems that only Intel NICs work, Realtek does not. So check your motherboard manual to see if it is an Intel NIC. If you have 2 NIC ports, one of which is Intel, use the Intel.

Don't have the Watchmax also, but I did some tests with my own 2 PCs and discovered the following settings to make WOL work, regardless of whether the port shows 2 lights (blinking yellow and steady orange/green) showing -

1. In BIOS Power Management menu:
a. Set "EUP 2013" as Disabled
b. Restore after AC Power Loss: Power off

2. In Wakeup Event Setup:
a. Wake Up Event By: BIOS
b. Enable "Resume by PCI or PCIe Device"
c. All others disabled

3. In Windows Device Manager > Network Adapter > Power Management tab, check boxes/enable options that allow this device to wake the computer, examples:
a. Wake on Magic Packet
b. Wake on Pattern Match
c. Wake on Magic Packet from Power Off state
d. Wake on Link Settings
e. Shutdown Wake-On-LAN (although this seems counter intuitive, disable this and WOL does not work. So enable it).

Tested with Watchout 6.1.1

Production PC:

Shutdown Watchout, restart/shutdown PC all does not matter. As long as network is connected, and Watchout is loaded, Remote Power off/Remote Power on of Display PC will work. It all depends very much on the Display PC.

Display PC:

Above settings in BIOS and Network Adapter must be followed, regardless of NIC manufacturer. If an option is not available, don't worry.

IF Display PC is powered off at source (i.e. Power Supply Unit is off), all bets are off. WOL will not work when powered back on. In my opinion, in such case, a third party utility is required, such as "Auto PowerOn and Shutdown", a shareware.

Without source powered off and after power off from Production PC, I tried after 1 minute and after 5 minutes+ and the Display PC will still remote power on from Production PC, given the settings above.

Thomas Leong

IF Display PC is powered off at source (i.e. Power Supply Unit is off), all bets are off. WOL will not work when powered back on. In my opinion, in such case, a third party utility is required, such as "Auto PowerOn and Shutdown", a shareware. ... 

after power off from Production PC, I tried after 1 minute and after 5 minutes+ and the Display PC will still remote power on from Production PC, given the settings above.

In order for WATCHOUT production software to be able to wake up a display computer, it must have been used to remotely shut down said display computer at least once. Doing so makes the production PC remember the MAC address of the display computer, which is needed to wake it up again at some future moment.

Mike

Mike,

Production PC was used to power down the Display PC in all my tests.

In cases where, after the power down as per above, I pulled the power cord from the Display PC for a 20-odd seconds and re-inserted, the Production PC, which was never powered off  and Watchout Production was left loaded all this time, it could never power on the Display PC again.

I reversed the PCs (Production, which had an Intel NIC, became Display and vice versa), and the same thing. Without Display PC psu being switched off, the Production PC was able to re-power up the Display, but not otherwise.

Thomas

Quick Solution:

In BIOS > Power Management Setup

set Restore after AC Power Loss to 'Power On'.

This saves time trying to discover how Watchout can remote power up the Display after AC power is off.

For tests, AC power must be off for at least 15-20 secs.

Thomas