Samsung TVs and MDC

stiegzinator

I'm running several Samsung DM55E Digital Signage TVs. I've downloaded Samsung's Multi Display Controller (MDC) and have successfully used that to turn the TVs on/off as well as controlling other functions. The challenge I'm having is trying to translate the commands that the MDC is sending to the TVs into Watchout so we can program those settings into the show.

The MDC does have a command window that displays the serial commands that are sent/received, so I theoretically just need to copy and paste those commands into Watchout and they would work, but I've yet to be successful.

I have the TVs networked together with the Watchout computers, have tried both TCP and UDP outputs using the same IP Port Number MDC is using. I'm running out of ideas to try to get this to work, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Before you attempt to send the commands from WATCHOUT,

use a Telnet client to send the commands.

If you can not do it with Telnet,

it is unlikely you can do it from WATCHOUT.

More important, as Telnet is a generic tool,

you should be able to enlist the vendor for assistance as they can relate to Telnet

more than they can WATCHOUT.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot with Telnet and see if tech support can help with that thread.

From what I'm finding about the Samsung TVs, the command is an RS232 command over ethernet using, from what I'm led to believe, hexadecimal. If that is all true, then the difficulty is just finding the right syntax and command string, right?

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot with Telnet and see if tech support can help with that thread.

From what I'm finding about the Samsung TVs, the command is an RS232 command over ethernet using, from what I'm led to believe, hexadecimal. If that is all true, then the difficulty is just finding the right syntax and command string, right?

Exactly correct.

An all hex string may not be possible in Telnet, however.

Depends a bit on the values, for example,

I do not know how to send STX (hex02) from Telnet.

In WATCHOUT such a string is straightforward.

i.e. STX is entered as $02

• Dataton Partner

Hello Stiegzinator,

The Samsung protocol is hard to find. It depends of your monitor ID and there is a checksum at the end. For monitor 1, try send to your monitor IP port 1515:

power on :

$AA$11$01$01$01$13

and power off:

$AA$11$01$01$00$12

Samsung doc explicitly tell you to send the command for 3 times every 2 Seconds until ACK command. If there is no ACK within 3 times, It means failure.

Good luck,

Benoit

Hello Stiegzinator,

The Samsung protocol is hard to find. It depends of your monitor ID and there is a checksum at the end. For monitor 1, try send to your monitor IP port 1515:

power on :

$AA$11$01$01$01$13

and power off:

$AA$11$01$01$00$12

Samsung doc explicitly tell you to send the command for 3 times every 2 Seconds until ACK command. If there is no ACK within 3 times, It means failure.

Good luck,

Benoit

Hello Benoit,

Thank you for your reply. This was helpful, and pretty much what I needed.

What I found was that the display ID was 0 and it did need a carriage return, so the strings I had were below.

Power on:

$AA$11$00$01$01$13$0D

Power off:

$AA$11$00$01$00$12$0D

Thank you, everyone, for the assistance.

• 3 years later...