AMD HD6970 Radeon problem with dual monitor

mattia

Hello.

I have just installed video cards AMD Radeon HD6970 on 3 pc running WatchOUT 5:1.

I have big problem with the identification of the second monitor.

The card has 2 DVI, 2 Mini DisplayPort and one HDMI

I'm using the two DVI, I read on the forum that to use more than two screens is necessary to use the Mini DisplayPort ports with active adapters.

This is also true for only 2 screens?

WE have the show tomorrow and we need help

Thank in advance for your help.

Hello.

I have just installed video cards AMD Radeon HD6970 on 3 pc running WatchOUT 5:1.

I have big problem with the identification of the second monitor.

The card has 2 DVI, 2 Mini DisplayPort and one HDMI

I'm using the two DVI, I read on the forum that to use more than two screens is necessary to use the Mini DisplayPort ports with active adapters.

This is also true for only 2 screens?...

No, it is not true when only using the two DVI ports.

They should work as expected when only those two ports are used.

Are you using the AMD/ATi Catalyst Control Center to set up the outputs? (don't use the Windows control panel).

Could you be experiencing an EDID issue with one of your displays?

yes i'm using the ati control panel.

this is the gpu port spec

AMD HD6970 Radeon V.2 2 Gb ddr5 Pci-E DVI-I Dual Link / DVI-D Single Link / HDMI / 2 x Mini-Display Port Dual Fan.

Now i'm tryng with 2 equal hd monitor.

Question , do you have the same resolution in both aupouts? Watchout only works with the same resolution

HI thanks to all for the help.

first: yes i'm using 2 vga projectors monitors.

Second: what you mean with "Connecting the HDMI port internally disconnects the dual-link DVI port"?

this is my setup

I have 3 main projectors not in softedge and 1 backups

All the projectors are the classic 15.000 fron eiky, the signal transport is on rgbhv, with a ohm suppressor.

i use 2 display and 1 producer for the setup.

1 display for the two side projector (two different video al the resolution of 1024X768)

1 display for the central and the backup (two different video al the resolution of 1024X768).

thanks in advance

mattia

I guess it is not clear - best results with multi-headed output cards are achieved with digital display connections.

As Thomas L pointed out, when using analog connections like VGA or rgbhv,

the output capability is reduced to the one that you are achieving.

For additional analog outputs, you will need to convert the digital displayport signals to analog.

Pick up some DisplayPort to VGA Video Adapter Converters to achieve additonal analog outputs.

....what you mean with "Connecting the HDMI port internally disconnects the dual-link DVI port"?

On my HD6950 (modded to HD6970), the HDMI port is shared with the dual-link DVI port. I can only use one at any one time -either the HDMI or the dual-link DVI, but not both at the same time. If I have both connected up, I get a black/blank screen on the monitor. I have to have one of them not connected to anything. I don't think the original HD6970 is any different from my HD6950.

In any case, as aforesaid, the dual-link can only connect to a DVI monitor. Even an active DVI-VGA adaptor will not work. The monitor/projector must have a DVI input for this port to work.

this is my setup

I have 3 main projectors not in softedge and 1 backups

All the projectors are the classic 15.000 fron eiky, the signal transport is on rgbhv, with a ohm suppressor.

i use 2 display and 1 producer for the setup.

1 display for the two side projector (two different video al the resolution of 1024X768)

1 display for the central and the backup (two different video al the resolution of 1024X768).

Since all your projector inputs are rbghv (which is analog, not digital), you need 4 analog (VGA) outputs from your HD6970. Unfortunately, only the single-link DVI will work (with a simple/common DVI-VGA adaptor). There is only one single-link DVI per HD6970. That gives you a total of 2 analog outputs (one per card).

For the others, you will have to use one of the display ports with an ACTIVE display port-to-VGA adaptor. Non-active adaptors will not work.

Per Jonas' post in http://dataton.com/forum/topic/93-wo5-multi-output/ active adaptors can be found at -

http://www.accellcables.com/products/DisplayPort/DisplayPort.htm

http://www.accellcables.com/products/DisplayPort/DP/dp_vga.htm

http://www.accellcables.com/products/DisplayPort/DP/mdp_vga.html

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-UltraAV-B101B-003B-Display-Adapter/dp/B003HC85D2

I'm not sure if any of the ones in Jim's post above work because none of them say 'Active' in the description. I've seen one at a client's place (he bought from a supplier from Singapore) and it has the word 'ACTIVE' embossed in the VGA plug end. Without the emboss, I would doubt it is active.

A rough guide is the price - around US$30+/-. The non-active adaptors are cheaper.

ThomasL

thanks a lot.

For the moment i have put on the display my old nvidia card, working fine with two video output.

I had converted the video from animation to h264 becouse the card are gts 270...

so for this works the problem is solved.

when i return i will buy the active adaptators.

so on the two display port i can have 4 dvi outputs in total ( 2 for each minidisplay)?

if it's correct i need an adaptators from 1 minidp to 2 dvi?

thanks in advance

"I had converted the video from animation to h264 becouse the card are gts 270..."

The choice of codec has NOTHING to do with the choice of graphics card, it's not decoded there.

"if it's correct i need an adaptators from 1 minidp to 2 dvi?"

NO, you'll need one ACTIVE adapter from DisplayPort/MiniDisplayPort PER output.

so on the two display port i can have 4 dvi outputs in total ( 2 for each minidisplay)?

if it's correct i need an adaptators from 1 minidp to 2 dvi?

No, that is not correct.

2 display ports = 2 dvi outputs (1 for each port)

You need an adaptor from 1 minidp to 1 dvi.

(For those who know, daisy-chaining is not considered here)