HAP,New Codecs and more...

MISTERK

Hi dataton

Hap seems to be a very good codec but so looooong to encode when you got files like 14592 x 2160 @ 50p

compre to mpg2, with wich you can't achieve such resolution i know, except maybe

in ffmpeg.

i'm sure that a heavy powerfull hardware config matters, but what is the fastest software to achieve batch HAP encoding ?

Adobe Media Encoder, FFMPEG...?

Is dataton planning to support HEVC H265 and a New coming codec that seems interesting : open source AV1 ?

Thx

If you can live with the command line interface (which I personally like better and better the more I use it), ffmpeg would be my recommendation. Since Hap files tend to be large, a fast disk is probably one of the most important aspects when encoding Hap movies. 

It is also quite easy to do batch encoding in ffmpeg by just using a regular .bat file (when running on windows).

/Erik

• Dataton Partner

Hello,

To share my personal experience, FFMPEG is nice because it adds some options not available with Adobe. But if something is not correct (like a missing or bad image in an image suite), FFMPEG will just raise a warning in red and give you a file, you can think the video is ok but an image is missing and you could see it when playing back in Watchout. So be careful and read the logs.

Concerning the encoding time, my thinking is your resolution is about 4 times 4K, why should it be quicker than 4 times encoding a 4K video or 16 times encoding and HD video? Does it takes you a lot more time than 16 x HD@50 in MPEG2?

Best,

Benoit

I don't know if you've come across this yet, but I've been using it on my last project in After Effects. It's called Render Garden.

https://www.mekajiki.com/rendergarden/

It uses all the cores, ffmpeg as a backbone with an after effects interface, you put your files in the render cue, and plant a garden that runs in the background. It's a lot faster than AE or AME.

If you can live with the command line interface (which I personally like better and better the more I use it), ffmpeg would be my recommendation. Since Hap files tend to be large, a fast disk is probably one of the most important aspects when encoding Hap movies. 

It is also quite easy to do batch encoding in ffmpeg by just using a regular .bat file (when running on windows).

/Erik

hi eric,

can you explain how to render ffmpeg please?

guy

I usually download the zeranoe builds for ffmpeg, available at https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/

A simple example for encoding a HapQ movie and removing the audio from the file: 

ffmpeg -i InputMovie.mov -an -vcodec hap -format hap_q HapQMovie.mov

-i specifies the input file, which can be just about any format

-an tells ffmpeg to remove any audio tracks

-vcodec (or -c:v) specifies which codec to use

-format specifies which hap flavour to use (hap, hap_alpha or hap_q)

The last argument is the name of the reencoded file. 

For very large movies (high resolution, that is) it makes sense to use the -chunks n argument to enable multithreaded decoding, where n is the number of chunks to use. It never makes sense to use more chunks than there are cores in the target (display) computer. As each additional chunks adds a (very) slight overhead in the form of decreased decoding speed and larger files, it is generally a good idea to keep the number of chunks as low as possible. 

For a list of codes supported by ffmpeg: ffmpeg -codecs

For help about a specific codec: ffmpeg -h encoder=x, where you would replace x by the name of the codec as listed by the ffmpeg -codecs command. 

/Erik 

Hi All,

I tend to avoid command line interfaces whenever I can and look for good graphical user interfaces.

You might want to take a look at FFworks for MAC http://www.ffworks.net or myffmeg for windows http://www.myffmpeg.com as GUI front ends for ffmpeg.

Batch encoding, watch folders, HAP support including chunking and pretty quick with control over multi thread encoding are all useful features I use a lot. The Save as separate audio files is particularly useful since HAP with audio is currently broken in 6.2.

Not free like the command line but quite affordable considering the comprehensive user interface.