Fade out timeline (using trigger)

autonic

So, I need to fade out a timeline using a MIDI trigger.

I've figured out how to use the MIDI-trigger to stop a specific timeline, but I can't figure out how to fade it... The thing is, it's not a looping timeline that needs to be faded.

The function is for when the user starts the wrong timeline by mistake, and whishes to "undo" the button click without an abrupt exit (stopping the timeline). Has anyone any ideas?

• Dataton Partner

Depends on the control side.

If you use an external controller (WATCHNET, Blocks, Universe,...), you could use an opacity tween on your media cue and then first send a command to fade the media down and then to stop the timeline.

Another option would be to define some standard media (preferably a still) in a standby layer and then activate the standby layer. While the standby layer is visible, you can clean up the timelines and then leave the standby layer again.

I use MIDI-input (via rtpMIDI over network) to trigger the changes.

Still image is perhaps doable, but not an optimal solution, since it requires me to "go to black", stop the neccesary timelines, and then fade back to previous timeline.

It would be much nicer if I could just fade out the incorrectly triggered timeline directly onto the previous timeline.

(I plan on triggering overlays onto a live camera feed - and giving the end user the option to gracefully correct a misclick)

• Dataton Partner

You can do so by connecting your midi channel with an opacity tween of your media cue.

Just select your media cue, right-click and select tween - opacity, then click on the little "F" in the tween channel and change this to "Tweenvalue * yourMidiChannelName"

You just need to make sure that your midi channel is always on 100% when things go right.

• Dataton Partner

OK, when you can't send a note change with a fade time or a midi control command with a fade time, a work-around would be to trigger a tiny aux timeline which just has a faded DMX channel. Then bind your opacity to the DMX channel and trigger this helper timeline by your midi. DMX can work as a sort of variable since you can listen and send DMX values in WATCHOUT.

• 1 month later...

Ok... I did actually manage to achieve many nights ago using your idea with the DMX-channels.

However, now I seem to have forgotten how I did it =\

I can only drag DMX outputs into timelines (to perform fade)... but when I try to bind the Opacity tween to the DMX-channel, It will only bind to the DMX-inputs (which are not affected when I perform fades on Outputs).

What am I missing here?

1 hour ago, RBeddig said:

Simply use the same universe for DMX inputs and outputs.

I am using the same universe. However I found the solution: You need to be "online" with the watchpax for this to work! (I thought all DMX-data was streamed from the production machine?)

Thanks for all your help.

59 minutes ago, autonic said:

… You need to be "online" with the watchpax for this to work! (I thought all DMX-data was streamed from the production machine?) …

Yes, when operating in production mode, the production station does generate the ArtNet data.

The online state (license) is required to enable production computer output.That includes all forms of output - IP strings, DMX, display computer communication.

What is confusing is input is always active, regardless of online state.

Also confusing, when offline, the production computer will show output status changes in its output window, even though nothing is actually being sent.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so now I noticed that generic outputs also can be faded... (good to not bloat the network with unecessary data).

However, fading the values of a generic output does not seem to change the value of the generic input with the same name. Is this by design? Can it be solved some other way? (if generic inputs cant be set using generic outputs - what are their intended usage?)

Am I stuck using DMX-outputs as variables?

well, why not use MIDI for fading? As you originally planned…

Much easier than dealing with DMX (I really wish one could work with DMX „offline“).

Use a cheap device (search for MIDI fader) like a Korg Nanokontrol 2.

Or,go the software route if you have an extra computer, maybe even wich touch monitor. In that case you could use one of my favorite programs, OSC Pilot.

Watchout is able to „learn“ which Midicontrol-change(s) you are using.

17 hours ago, wiesemann said:

well, why not use MIDI for fading? As you originally planned…

Much easier than dealing with DMX (I really wish one could work with DMX „offline“).

Use a cheap device (search for MIDI fader) like a Korg Nanokontrol 2.

Or,go the software route if you have an extra computer, maybe even wich touch monitor. In that case you could use one of my favorite programs, OSC Pilot.

Watchout is able to „learn“ which Midicontrol-change(s) you are using.

Well, I am using MIDI, but it's only MIDI notes (touch interface).

I need to be able to fadeout + stop a timeline with a button press... (for when a timeline has to be faded out prematurely).

On 1/7/2022 at 8:12 PM, autonic said:

Ok, so now I noticed that generic outputs also can be faded... (good to not bloat the network with unecessary data).

However, fading the values of a generic output does not seem to change the value of the generic input with the same name. Is this by design? Can it be solved some other way? (if generic inputs cant be set using generic outputs - what are their intended usage?)

Am I stuck using DMX-outputs as variables?

You can use DMX for this because same channel number and universe for out and in, nothing to do with names.

Regarding generic outputs and inputs are not related, and would be great if could use generic outputs as variables so that kind of actions would be easier to sort.