Flashing at pause cue and while playing back with PNG files

joeartist

I am experiencing PNG images flashing when reaching a pause cue or while the timeline is running. Typically I see this when the content has been programmed in line with a pause cue, however, each pause cue is 0.1 second prior to the start of the image file. 

A few thoughts:

- I am wondering if I need to delete the files I am having problems with from the display computers and re-sync the files? 

- I am also considering replacing the PNG files with JPEG files as a test to see if this is an alpha issue. (I have already changed the alpha setting for each file)

Just wondering if other have experienced this problem and what their solutions were. 

Thanks

Removing and reloading the files are unlikely to have any effect on the issue you describe.

Changing a still image file type is unlikely to help as well. Note, WATCHOUT does not display the original file during playback. All still images are converted to an internal format and that is used for display. so regardless of file type, all still image formats will perform exactly the same for the same original. 

Hi JFK, 

Thank you for responding and for the new bit go information about WO

When I looked back at some of the programming we were driving a virtual display into another virtual display then to the output screen feed. Once I cleaned that up and directed the original virtual display to the output feed the issue when away. Is there a limitation on virtual display feeding other virtual displays?

Best,

Joe

17 minutes ago, joeartist said:

…. Is there a limitation on virtual display feeding other virtual displays? …

Yes. Virtual Displays are not intended to be re-entrant. Dataton does not support the use of virtual displays within virtual displays.

That said, there are people who have done so successfully. But it is unsupported by Dataton.

Compositions on the other hand are supported in this manner. In many cases, nested compositions provide the function being achieved with nested virtual displays.

On 2/9/2022 at 11:29 PM, joeartist said:

I am experiencing PNG images flashing when reaching a pause cue or while the timeline is running. Typically I see this when the content has been programmed in line with a pause cue, however, each pause cue is 0.1 second prior to the start of the image file. 

A few thoughts:

- I am wondering if I need to delete the files I am having problems with from the display computers and re-sync the files? 

- I am also considering replacing the PNG files with JPEG files as a test to see if this is an alpha issue. (I have already changed the alpha setting for each file)

Just wondering if other have experienced this problem and what their solutions were. 

Thanks

Hi… Did you try the Jpegs?  Have you tested all tgis with the main timeline as well? My Experience of „flashing“ at a pause/loop-cue is that it only occurs on Aux-timelines.

When I used he Main-timeline, the issues were not happening. 

For further testing on whats happening I place a colorbar image on the main timeline and just would let it sit there, displaying it.

Starting an Aux-timeline with any content above would show this colorbar image for a fraction of time at the pause/loop cue.

I filmed this in slow on the phone and have posted here some years ago. As proof of whatever this is.

——-

As a result of never having this issue really resolved I am avoiding looping with cues OR place that same content on the main timeline below it. Going to different Maintimeline cues while playing the Aux-TL can be „programmed“ with cues.

cheers