Quicktime Error 2095 with HAP files that previously worked?

blueguerilla

So I recently set up a new laptop as my production machine. I have a big show coming and am trying to finalize my production pipeline. I fired up the same show from last year, and files that were fine last year, are now showing Quicktime Error 2095. These are all HAP files encoded with Adobe Media Encoder. This is content and a show that ran flawlessly last year, and now my new machine cannot read any of the files? What is especially weird is that every file that I rendered and then encoded has this error, but a bunch of videos that were from a third party, sent in ProRes 422 (same format as all my renders) and that I encoded into HAP on the same media encoder preset, have no error. This is consistent throughout all the media. 

Can anyone explain to me what is going on here? Why would HAP files be erroring when they played back fine previously? How could two files that were encoded with the same HAP preset have different results?

I had previously made this post back in January as I was making plans for this show. I am planning to encode with Joyko Media Encoder, those files appear to be fine in Watchout with my tests I have done, but now I am concerned that Watchout is having issues with HAP files. It is especially concerning that files that worked a year ago are no longer playable. 

• Dataton Partner

In your other post you talk about a new Mac to encode and program WATCHOUT!?

Are you using Bootcamp or a virtual machine?

AFAIK, Bootcamp is not supported on M1/M2 Macs anymore and virtual machines can introduce a lot of issues, depending on the driver implementation of the virtual environment.

Or are you having the issues on a true Windows computer? In this case, which Windows version?

I've used Windows 10 and 11 on PC notebooks but also on a 2019 Intel Macbook. No issues with HAP files.

As you're already using Jokoy encoder software, have you checked what the Jokyo HAP player says about your different HAP files? It's a good and free toll to get some information on the encoding settings.

4 hours ago, RBeddig said:

In your other post you talk about a new Mac to encode and program WATCHOUT!?

Are you using Bootcamp or a virtual machine?

AFAIK, Bootcamp is not supported on M1/M2 Macs anymore and virtual machines can introduce a lot of issues, depending on the driver implementation of the virtual environment.

Or are you having the issues on a true Windows computer? In this case, which Windows version?

I've used Windows 10 and 11 on PC notebooks but also on a 2019 Intel Macbook. No issues with HAP files.

As you're already using Jokoy encoder software, have you checked what the Jokyo HAP player says about your different HAP files? It's a good and free toll to get some information on the encoding settings.

Mac for creating and encoding, PC for production. PC is a Lenovo Legion, i7-12700H, 64gb ram, windows 11. 

Joyko media encoder files seem to work fine in all my tests, it is my old files that were encoded in Adobe Media encoder that are problematic. But only some of them.

I inspected the files in Joyko, and the only difference between them is that the ones that work fine, are all 29.97, where the other files are 30fps. But both worked last year, has something changed in Watchout?

• Dataton Partner

A quick research showed, among other similar pages, this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/711164

The error 2095 seems to be related to a launch of QT while the user rights are not sufficient. You do not need QT and should therefore delete it from the computer. The delete WATCHOUT and re-install it to repair any misleading decoder entries in the registry.

5 minutes ago, RBeddig said:

A quick research showed, among other similar pages, this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/711164

The error 2095 seems to be related to a launch of QT while the user rights are not sufficient. You do not need QT and should therefore delete it from the computer. The delete WATCHOUT and re-install it to repair any misleading decoder entries in the registry.

Quicktime has never been installed on this laptop. 

22 hours ago, blueguerilla said:

….  files that were fine last year, are now showing Quicktime Error 2095. …

17 minutes ago, blueguerilla said:

Quicktime has never been installed on this laptop. 

That seems incongruous.

45 minutes ago, jfk said:

That seems incongruous.

May seem that way, but that is the case. Different laptop last year, that I believe did have quicktime on it. This is my first show with this laptop, just set it up in January and followed Dataton recommendation not to install quicktime. I am actually tempted to install it just to see. Possibly on my old machine quicktime was doing the decoding for those files? 

• Dataton Partner

As far as I understood, you mentioned that it worked on another computer with an older version of WATCHOUT but not on the new computer with the new version of WATCHOUT!? Or did I miss a point here?

If that is the case, I would start to test with the older version of WATCHOUT on the new computer first to see whether this still works.

On 2/26/2023 at 8:37 AM, RBeddig said:

As far as I understood, you mentioned that it worked on another computer with an older version of WATCHOUT but not on the new computer with the new version of WATCHOUT!? Or did I miss a point here?

If that is the case, I would start to test with the older version of WATCHOUT on the new computer first to see whether this still works.

Yes, I created this show last year on a different production laptop, with Watchout 6.5. I am tempted to try installing 6.5 on this machine just to test, but my current workflow using Joyko encoder and Watchout 6.7.2 is working well, and I am too busy worrying about this years show to try and make an old one work. (I had just loaded it as a test of the new hardware) I was just baffled by the fact that files that worked previously aren't working in the current version of Watchout and was wondering if anyone had a clue why. My biggest worry is that there is an unknown bug with the current version of watchout that is going to come back to bite me later.... 

16 hours ago, blueguerilla said:

Yes, I created this show last year on a different production laptop, with Watchout 6.5. I am tempted to try installing 6.5 on this machine just to test, but my current workflow using Joyko encoder and Watchout 6.7.2 is working well, and I am too busy worrying about this years show to try and make an old one work. (I had just loaded it as a test of the new hardware) I was just baffled by the fact that files that worked previously aren't working in the current version of Watchout and was wondering if anyone had a clue why. My biggest worry is that there is an unknown bug with the current version of watchout that is going to come back to bite me later.... 

Well, Dataton probably doesnt want to hear it, but it was always the case that there wer unstable newer versions and I have waited for bugs to be fixed in another even newer version.

I would just stick with the version that was running. Clients always blame it on you (me) not on software engineering. So I decide what is used.

8 hours ago, wiesemann said:

Well, Dataton probably doesnt want to hear it, but it was always the case that there wer unstable newer versions and I have waited for bugs to be fixed in another even newer version.

I would just stick with the version that was running. Clients always blame it on you (me) not on software engineering. So I decide what is used.

I agree, I always try to stay a version behind with all my software. Unfortunately the racks the AV company is providing are on 6.7.2, so I need to build to their spec. 

18 hours ago, blueguerilla said:

I agree, I always try to stay a version behind with all my software. Unfortunately the racks the AV company is providing are on 6.7.2, so I need to build to their spec. 

But that is what I meant. I tell these guys, which version I want to work with, or in some rare cases, install it myself.

I know that sounds rude or „not service oriented“, but since every jitter, non looping loop and everycrackle in audio is going to be „my fault“ anyway I decide this or I reject the job.

Had a really bad experience which led me to this. („what did you program there…“)

18 hours ago, blueguerilla said:

Also, Moderators, I have been a member on the forum for a bloody decade. When will I be able to post something without moderator review every time lol?

I like moderation. Otherwise we‘d have Twitter of even Facebokk in a minute.

57 minutes ago, wiesemann said:

I like moderation. Otherwise we‘d have Twitter of even Facebokk in a minute.

Very true. We deny quite a few spam submissions. Recently legitimate users accounts have been hacked and spam posts submitted. We were able to block the spam and notify the users to update their passwords. Another spam technique we have been catching is new accounts submitting what look like legitimate posts that are actually copies of old posts from others. If approved, they come back and edit the post to change it to spam. While new submissions are moderated, edits are not moderated. But we have caught them anyway. 

18 hours ago, jfk said:

Very true. We deny quite a few spam submissions. Recently legitimate users accounts have been hacked and spam posts submitted. We were able to block the spam and notify the users to update their passwords. Another spam technique we have been catching is new accounts submitting what look like legitimate posts that are actually copies of old posts from others. If approved, they come back and edit the post to change it to spam. While new submissions are moderated, edits are not moderated. But we have caught them anyway. 

Appreciate all that extra work. Thanks to all involved. Great Forum.