jerking with nearly every codec, "looping" fixes it

Martin Sohns

We have the following issue using 6.31/6.4/6.41

Hap/HapQ/ProRes (2160p/1080p) running, but jerking, sometimes more, sometimes less, (also the same files are doing different playback-quality )

(changing Chunks does not take any effect) 

h264.mp4 (2160p/1080p) basically not running/ stays only on the frame the timeline pauses. So it won't play any mp4.

Activating "Looping", everything is doing fine and everything is running smooth. It is reproducible every time at every file.

Framerates are matching. Hardware is safe. PreRoll does not take any effect. SyncMaster does not take any effect.

Easy test setup: one master, one display computer, one 2160p60 output.

Thoughts? Anything I miss?

Hi Martin,

I've the same issue when I use the AMD Firepro Wx series videocards (System running on Win7 and any WO 6.x.x and all generation AMD drivers tested)

I my case looping will not fix this...

Replacing the videocard for a W5100 will solve this, and system runs flawless (8 x Full HD HAP's 60fr. at the same time).

Probably a compatibility issue between MB and videocard.

Hugo

2 hours ago, Hugo Janzen said:

Hi Martin,

I've the same issue when I use the AMD Firepro Wx series videocards (System running on Win7 and any WO 6.x.x and all generation AMD drivers tested)

I my case looping will not fix this...

Replacing the videocard for a W5100 will solve this, and system runs flawless (8 x Full HD HAP's 60fr. at the same time).

Probably a compatibility issue between MB and videocard.

Hugo

Hugo, the WX series is on my actual point of view designed for win10.... So this is the first thing I would recommend to check. I drive my systems on win10EP with a W7100... 

2 hours ago, Martin Sohns said:

Hugo, the WX series is on my actual point of view designed for win10.... So this is the first thing I would recommend to check. I drive my systems on win10EP with a W7100... 

According to AMD the Wx serie can run on either W10 or W7

13 hours ago, Martin Sohns said:

No Dataton employer any suggestions to my issue?

This appears to be some kind of hardware issue. We have not seen any other reports of this nature. If you would like to have Dataton evaluate this, please send a simplified sample show file, media and description of how to reproduce the issue to support@dataton.com. We would test it on our hardware to see if it is reproducible.

The loop setting solving the issue is very strange. It is exactly the opposite of what we would normally observe. Looping loads a second copy of the media which increases the work load - often movies that play ok standalone begin to stumble when looping is enabled. Again this points to some sort of very unusual hardware anomaly.

• Dataton Partner

Hi, 

It looks more like a hardware/driver or network issue.

I've just tested three UHD clips with 50 and z60fps on a WX7100 set to UHD@60fps. Though the clips have the same content, it's actually three individual files each.

The server runs Win7 Pro 64 and the AMD driver is from Q4/2017.

We had severe issues with drivers from Q1/2018 but have not tested any from this year yet.

• Dataton Partner
33 minutes ago, jfk said:

This appears to be some kind of hardware issue. We have not seen any other reports of this nature. If you would like to have Dataton evaluate this, please send a simplified sample show file, media and description of how to reproduce the issue to support@dataton.com. We would test it on our hardware to see if it is reproducible.

The loop setting solving the issue is very strange. It is exactly the opposite of what we would normally observe. Looping loads a second copy of the media which increases the work load - often movies that play ok standalone begin to stumble when looping is enabled. Again this points to some sort of very unusual hardware anomaly.

Indeed, this points more to a network issue I guess. Free-running means free-running, so WATCHOUT will not keep track of the files after starting them.