Watchout 6.7 version error when use string output to control device

SawLae

I'm having trouble with my WATCHOUT software. Sometimes, when I try to use string output to control the Projector Shutter, it gives me errors. It works fine sometimes, but other times, it doesn't work at all.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Yes, agree with Mike that the error means WATCHOUT failed to connect and to deliver the AV mute/unmute commands to the TCP device for some reasons. It could be many things hence the suggestions. Some of the common issues that I've seen in the past were due to having multiple active networks (wired and wireless network being active at the same time and were connected to different networks), firewall being disabled temporarily but enabled upon computer reboot thus blocking the message and in some cases the commands were simply too fast for the target device hence the need for delay between commands.

For SawLae's case, Epson Thailand has also reached out to us yesterday. We talked and confirmed that the TCP port 4352 on all projectors were in fact had always been open. They tested it using third party TCP sender software to confirm this. In fact, we also tested with Epson projectors in our showroom, and it worked without issue (see attached test video).

The only difference between our test is the ASCII command that I used (which I don't think make matter):

• %1AVMT 30$0D
  • %1AVMT 31$0D

• 3 weeks later...

I switched from the Shutter command to the AV Mute command, but it still displays the same error message. The system functions properly when we only use string cues in the timeline. However, when we include a string cue in the timelines that contains video files, Dxm control, and other elements, it displays an error message.

• Dataton Partner
21 hours ago, SawLae said:

when we include a string that contains video files

What is a "string that contains video files"?

If I understand your problem correctly, sometimes one projector reacts to the command and sometimes the same does not? And all this happens when the projector is fully powered up and working?

You're trying to use PJlink and have turned the password protection off?

You're sure that you don't have any IP address or network range conflicts?

Are you using the wired network port on the projector and have the wifi turned off (if possible)?

Have you tried to send the command from some other software to see whether the projector answers something?

Apart from PuTTY, my tool of choice is usually PacketSender as it can store commands and you can also see the feedback.

Another valuable tool is wireshark. It's a bit advanced but you can install it on the computer sending the strings and run it while you send the data. If you are using the production computer to run the show, install it there. It will probably collect a huge list but you can filter the results to see only the communication send out from your computer or received from the IP of your projector.

I don't know which Epson model you are using, but the manual for the EB-PU2213/2216/2113/2116 models states that the projector info can show some event ID codes which can give you hints on network problems inside the projector. Page 116 of the current user guide.

And on page 135 of the Epson manual, I noticed a remark about mute settings.

Bildschirmfoto2024-04-26um09_40_09.png.56194dd6ebfcf4077cf5148ed66d750a.png

Some of the large Epson projectors also allow to be controlled over Art-Net. Have you tried this?

I apologize for my mistake in the previous message. Here is the corrected version: 

"When we include a string cue in the timeline containing video files, Dxm control, and other elements."

For the password projection, I have already turned it off. Regarding the signal range conflicts, I don't think they are related, as the range I'm using is within the specification of the LAN cable. Lastly, the model of the projector we are using is Epson PU1008B.

This has been a problem for a decade now. It's a PJ Link issue, and it's related to the ports opening and closing I think, but I've never been able to figure out all the exact quirks because the rules don't always apply. However, the general thing I've found is it's open for 30 seconds then will close. Sometimes it'll reopen just fine, sometimes it'll fail, but it's always repeat the pattern if you run it in order.

The solution I've found is to just build an alternate timeline, send a empty %0D Carriage Return every 25 seconds or so to keep the port open, then loop that for eternity. As long as you don't rapid fire the commands, you should be good.