Inconsistent monitor identity on graphics card output

CraigMcC

We have several watchout systems running on identical hardware but cannot get a consistent/locked-down assignment of which Watchout Display # is assigned to which physical output on the graphics card (2xDVI + 4xDisplay Port). In some cases Display 1 appears on one of the DVI outputs in other cases it is one one of the Display Ports.

I assume this is a Windows 7 issue, not a Watchout issue but am hoping I can find a solution here.

Is there a way I can configure which Windows Monitor Identity (Watchout Display #) appears on which physical graphics card output and lock this down so it doesn't get reassigned?

Thanks in advance

Yes, this is a windows issue. The only possible work-around I've heard of is some AMD software, that allows you to "lock" this display utput number assignment. I believe this applies only to their FirePro line of cards, though. If not, you will just have to adapt your programming to the way Windows decides to number your displays.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I have a HD6950 - 2 x mDP, 2 x DVI, 1 x HDMI.  My tests in this respect have shown that the mDP ports seem to take priority when used. The first mDP port (the one furthest from the DVI ports) is always assigned Monitor 1, second mDP port monitor 2, followed by the DVI-D port. The DVI-I port is always assigned to the last monitor/output. The HDMI port, in my case, shares with the DVI-D port (i.e. either, or but not both can be used).

Am trying to link to a jpg image I made to explain the connections I am getting. Hope the image link works, below -

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6DkplQz1UNfYnRQNE9JNTVTazg/edit?usp=sharing

Thomas Leong

• 1 month later...

Yes, this is a windows issue. The only possible work-around I've heard of is some AMD software, that allows you to "lock" this display utput number assignment. I believe this applies only to their FirePro line of cards, though. If not, you will just have to adapt your programming to the way Windows decides to number your displays.

Mike

Mike, can you post a link to that utility?

I don't agree. I always have edid managers in line. I also alway have full running backup systems. Therein is my problem, not just getting the system to remain consistent (which typically works as long as you keep the same connections there on reboot), but matching output numbers and ports from the primary to backup system so they are identical.

Currently I employ this solution. Reboot clean with only 1 connection. Go into windows display properties. One by one plugin the next port and extendl the desktop. Most of the time, windows adds them in reverse order (the newly attached port =monitor 1), and (most of the time) watch out IDs the displays as 1-x in the order attached.

I stress the MOST OF THE TIMES because sometime it inexplicably does different things, puts the new display in a different order or watchout's I'd #'s align differently to windows id's.

I recognize this is mostly a windows issue, and would love to find the utility that can help manage this(please post that link to the fireproof utility if you can find it)...

BUT I would also like to understand and be able to predict what is going to be the order in watchout based on what I see in windows display properties. Can anyone shed any light on that?

Thanks for listening!

I stress the MOST OF THE TIMES because sometime it inexplicably does different things, puts the new display in a different order or watchout's I'd #'s align differently to windows id's.

I recognize this is mostly a windows issue, and would love to find the utility that can help manage this(please post that link to the fireproof utility if you can find it)...

BUT I would also like to understand and be able to predict what is going to be the order in watchout based on what I see in windows display properties. Can anyone shed any light on that?

Thanks for listening!

Yes, we see the same with IDs not always adding on sequentially.

As for the ATi FirePro only utility, you would need to contact ATi support for that.