Best Disk Imaging Software?

Curtis Hutchins

Hi All,

What is the recommend tool for imaging a Watchout System these days?

I have always used Acronis but the new version although very pretty just isnt as easy to use.

Leads me to think I am using teh wrong version as this version is geared for increment backups more than imaging and unless I am doing someting wrong, everytime I restore, teh system forget my safezone partition.

thx.

Hi All,

What is the recommend tool for imaging a Watchout System these days?

I have always used Acronis but the new version although very pretty just isnt as easy to use.

Leads me to think I am using teh wrong version as this version is geared for increment backups more than imaging and unless I am doing someting wrong, everytime I restore, teh system forget my safezone partition.

thx.

Sounds like you are not restoring from the safe zone?

If you restore from an external archive, it is normal for the safe zone to be cleared.

You should  always restore from the safe zone if it is available,

external archives are the last resort (failed hard drive).

When restoring from the external archive, you must manually repopulate the safe zone.

• Dataton Partner

Hi,

we are always using Acronis 2009 Home from a CD and store the images on our server. We never use incremental images but always write new images of the complete C disk. This has worked fine for us on all systems except a DELL Precision T3600 with internal Xeon processor and SAS drives. Those drives where not detected by Acronis 2009 / 2010 / 2011.

For this computers we have used "Clonezilla Live 2.0.1-amd64" (our computers are Xeon but it worked fine with those too). The software is freeware and can be found on the net. Using the standard settings works fine. The graphical user interface is very basic but the results are fine.

Hope this helps

Rainer