Sync problem using videoproxy in composition

fdoeve

Hi guys!

I have been experiencing a strange but SERIOUS synchronisation problem this week...

The situation:

2 display pc's, both driving 2 screens, so 4 total, all next to eachother.

Each screen runs at 1920x1080, so total of 7680x1080 pixels.

Each PC uses an HDMI and a DVI output, both sent to the screens via HDMI to CAT6 converters

I had to run 2 videos alternating, first one 15 seconds, videoproxy and the second one 2 minutes, also a videoproxy. Both videos were MP4 videos, 30fps.

to make things easy, i put both videos in a composition and put the composition on the main timeline, set to loop and free run.

Starting up, everything looks ok, but after about 15 minutes, the 2 display pc's are almost a whole second out of sync!

Is there some rule against videoproxys in compositions? Because after putting the videos on the main timeline and placing a play control cue to loop it back to 0:00 everything seemed to be in order...

the 2 machines are shuttle computers, Intel Core i7 3 Gig processor with SX58 motherboard 

specs:

http://dropbox.rend.tv/SPECS/Shuttle%20Specs.htm

heres a video of what we saw after about 15 minutes. the first of the 4 screens isnt in the video, but you can clearly see the sync difference between the 2 pc's...

http://dropbox.rend.tv/SPECS/VID-20140225-WA0000.mp4

Oh and we're running the latest version of Watchout

I really hope someone can tell me anything about this problem, because it took me way too long how to get it to run as intended, since i did not know i was doing anything i shouldnt....

Thanx in advance guys!

Frank Doeve

R&D Communications BV

The Netherlands

• Dataton Partner

" i put both videos in a composition and put the composition on the main timeline, set to loop and free run."

I would look at this point. free-running means that WATCHOUT triggers the clips in sync but then does not care about synchronity of those clips anymore. Computers can run at different speeds even if you think that they are identical and if WATCHOUT does not check synchronity anymore after the start of a video....

Hi Frank,

Can you supply us with this show, incl. content, to check, at support@dataton.com?

/jonas

Hi Jonas!

Definately will, truck should be back from Barcelona tomorrow, so i will get the files to you as soon as i can!

thanx!

• Dataton Partner

Rbeddig's story sound familiar. Frank, I would never use your chosen solution for such a project using to display pc's (just a running loop in an aux).

But last week I noticed exactly the same between production PC and display PC. Just had one movie in free run on one display running during setup / rehearsal. After 30 minutes there was a gap of at least 2 seconds between preview on stage area and the actual running display PC. Incredible difference after such short time.

Walter:

Between Stage and DisplayPC output is not strange at all to have a difference over time.

Stage playback has no priority vs DisplayPC playback, and has never had.

This is not the same issue as described, difference between DisplayPC outputs over time, as I see it.

/jonas

free-running means that WATCHOUT triggers the clips in sync but then does not care about synchronity of those clips anymore. Computers can run at different speeds even if you think that they are identical and if WATCHOUT does not check synchronity anymore after the start of a video.

The above is statement incorrect. WATCHOUT maintains sync across computers even when videos run as "free running". They're still synchronized. The term "free running" here merely means they will not pause when the enclosing timeline is paused.

Mike

The above is statement incorrect. WATCHOUT maintains sync across computers even when videos run as "free running". They're still synchronized. The term "free running" here merely means they will not pause when the enclosing timeline is paused.

Mike

hmmm well there's that explanation out the window then... :-) 

the search continues...

I have my equipment back and am ready to had you guys the show we were having problems with in Barcelona.

Would you prefer a WeTransfer link or Dropbox? or i could put in on my own server for you to download, but that will take you a longggg time, because my upload speed here is next to nothing at the momoent...

Also, i should say i was misinformed earlier about the amount of time it took for the show to get out of sync... wasnt a really short time, but about 6 hours... but still, a difference of at least one second in 6 hours is a lot i think.

But let me know how you would prefer me to supply you with the show.