LIVE VIDEO INPUT STALLS DURING PLAYOUT

Vollmers

Hi 

I'm facing a problem, which is probably workflow/user generated. I create a new task with a live video input. I fade it up from zero to e.g. 1 second, and then pause it, with a Pause action in the timeline. When I continue playback, I have placed control cue, which makes the cursor jump to zero, and the pause. The problem is when the users open the show, all the tasks are set to stop, and I know it's done so, so none of the tasks contribute to the show. Until they are activated and played out. What we see is, that when you fade up a live video signal, and the timeline is set to "stop", the fade up flickers and lags, and sometime just jump to a 100%. Is there a method, e.g. starting the fade up one second later, so you don't experience these issues, when you start up a new show? I have to mention, that when it have played out the first time, the task is set to pause at zero, and then it works fine from there. 

Best regards Christian

Hi 

I'm facing a problem, which is probably workflow/user generated. I create a new task with a live video input. I fade it up from zero to e.g. 1 second, and then pause it, with a Pause action in the timeline. When I continue playback, I have placed control cue, which makes the cursor jump to zero, and the pause. The problem is when the users open the show, all the tasks are set to stop, and I know it's done so, so none of the tasks contribute to the show. Until they are activated and played out. What we see is, that when you fade up a live video signal, and the timeline is set to "stop", the fade up flickers and lags, and sometime just jump to a 100%.

Exactly, The aux timelines can not go from stop (nothing loaded) to complete load in 0 time.

In the case of a live video input you can probably work around that by

keeping the live video input active, but hidden.

The simplest way to do that is to place a live video cue

in a STANDBY LAYER the full length of the main timeline.

Then when you run the aux cue the video input signal is already established 

because standby content is always loaded, including when standby is off.

So then the aux timeline is just revealing it.

Of course, if you are using standby, there are other tricks.

Is there a method, e.g. starting the fade up one second later, so you don't experience these issues, when you start up a new show?

Yes, the one you mention next ...

I have to mention, that when it have played out the first time, the task is set to pause at zero, and then it works fine from there. 

That is a good way to address that.

Use control cues from the timeline with the first cue to set all the aux tasks to pause right up front.

There is a limit to the number you can "pre-cue" like that before something chokes,

trial and error to determine the threshold.

In my workflow I never ever use the main time line, only aux time lines.

To make sure "heavy" media, specially HD-SDI capture is there when I need it, usually I use opacity.

Set it to 0% and create a fast fade in to 100%.

Keep the cursor paused at the beginning of the media cue, this way the media is already loaded but hidden, when I hit play it goes smooth.

All the video loops and pictures I need during the show are always running in background with opacity 0%.

Course the amount of media running in background will depend on the system specks.

That's why I usually don't use more than 2 output even though I'm using AMD FirePro V7900 cards.