SDI output

MickM

I've been looking at the DirectGMA (SDI-Link) information on the AMD site. It seems to show that the FirePro W5100 (and better) cards can connect to an SDI I/O card via the PCIe bus. From what I can tell, this allows the GPU to do the processing and then send output to the SDI card. They specifically mention Blackmagic, AJA, and a few other cards for this purpose. 

What I can't tell is if this link is done within Windows, or if the software needs to somehow make the connection. Will Watchout's output end up at the SDI outputs of a DeckLink card? If anyone has experience with this, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,

Mick

I've been looking at the DirectGMA (SDI-Link) information on the AMD site. It seems to show that the FirePro W5100 (and better) cards can connect to an SDI I/O card via the PCIe bus. From what I can tell, this allows the GPU to do the processing and then send output to the SDI card. They specifically mention Blackmagic, AJA, and a few other cards for this purpose. 

This is meant to allow the GPU to overlay on the SDI signal.

For things like modern 'character generators', etc.

It is limited to one per computer.

so yes,

theoretically, if WATCHOUT were re-written to support that proprietary function,

then you could feed the input blackburst and

get one native SDI output with the WATCHOUT render suprimposed on it.

But one computer and one watchout license per native SDI output?

Something tells me you could buy a fair number of quality DisplayPort to SDI converters 

for less €€€€

Don't hold your breath for that re-write.

What I can't tell is if this link is done within Windows,

No, it is done with a proprietary extension to windows.

or if the software needs to somehow make the connection.

It does.

Will Watchout's output end up at the SDI outputs of a DeckLink card?

Not as it stands today.

If anyone has experience with this, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,

Mick

Here is a post I shared earlier this year on converting HDMI to SDI. In actuality it's converting the DP outputs on aW7100 card to HDMI connectors then to BMD micro converters which converts them to SDI. The converters aren't the smartest converters in terms of programming, but they do the trick on most setups. I've been using them for months without issue.

http://forum.dataton.com/topic/2172-moving-from-hdmi-to-sdi/

Here is a post I shared earlier this year on converting HDMI to SDI. In actuality it's converting the DP outputs on aW7100 card to HDMI connectors then to BMD micro converters which converts them to SDI. The converters aren't the smartest converters in terms of programming, but they do the trick on most setups. I've been using them for months without issue.

http://forum.dataton.com/topic/2172-moving-from-hdmi-to-sdi/

What DP to HDMI adapters do you use? Are they active or passive?