New forum sign-in procedure

jfk

As you may notice, this forum underwent an upgrade today.

In the past, the sign-in process required you to enter your registered name (not your forum display name) and password.

This has now changed, and you now must log-in with your forum display name and password. This rendered my browsers saved log-in information inoperative. Easy enough to correct once you understand that.

I decided to place this post when I checked how many people were viewing the forum, and saw 11 guests and 0 logged in users. So I suspect the new log-in may have caught more than a few people unaware. Since guests can see this post, hope this helps ;)

• jfk pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm not sure what this forum upgrade was but essentially since your post, I am now receiving Emails every time a new post is made on the watchout forum.

I have gone into my account settings to turn these notifications off, but the emails seem to continue to come through.

I suspect I'm doing something wrong, but I wasn't sure if you could shed some light on this. :)

Guest DavidA

Hi, Callum!

when you enter the WATCHOUT FORUM, to the right of the heading you have a "following" button. I can see that you are subscribed to receive notifications from the entire forum (which is why you get the emails), but I cannot remove you from the list. You have to do that yourself. 

Best regards, 
David

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a recommendation, coming from someone who recently experienced a great deal of confusion on why I was not able to sign in...

Allow 2 options for sign in - screen name or email address. I wasn't even aware of what my current screen name was, because - well, I had not been using that to login and I had logged in for a long time (I had something set to remain logged in). And my keychain of course had nothing set for the site with my screen name. I had to click "forgot my password" and follow the email trail in order to sign in, and had to do that several times before I came across this discussion. And if you are giving a user the option to reset their password by the traditional "send notification to email on file" method anyways, why not just allow a user to log in with their email in the first place? For reasons...

A - You are in essence setting the security bar at one's email anyways

B - Login using email is about as standard as it comes these days... people are used to it

Guest DavidA

Hi!

When we upgraded to the v4 of the forum software, this was not an option. With the latest version at 4.3.x it is - so I have changed the login procedure so it accepts now BOTH screen name AND the email address. 

Best regards, 

David