4k to HD quads with Datapath FX4

Brian

Client wants to use a 4 output 4k server for a 16 HD projector blend. Plan is to use 4 Datapath FX4 units to split each 3840x2160 into four 1920x1080, then out to a couple Spyder x20 and then out to projection. Projection always handles the blend so I don't have to worry about that.

Client wants to purchase the server and run it this way most of the time. It will rarely do actual 4k content.

Has anyone tried this? Had issues?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies! We've pulled the trigger on the four 4k server. Should be fun!

Geometry is almost always handled in the projector (Twist) as is the blend control so I rarely use those features. If/when I need to I can work around those snags. Our projectionists are pretty insistent that it's their thing to control. And then there's always an e2 or x20 in line as well. Works for me!

Thanks again.

• 2 years later...
On 2/23/2019 at 4:02 PM, Morgan Wong said:

If you do not need Geometry correction and blending function from Watchout, then you will be fine.

if not, It will become very complicated to do the geometry correction for FOUR 1920x1080 in one display(3840x2160) output.

HI,

Could you let me know - Is it actually possible at all to do geometry correction and blending within Watchout for four separate 1920x1080 in one display(3840x2160) output via a FX4?

Thanks

• Dataton Partner
On 10/14/2021 at 3:00 AM, Ventmedia said:

HI,

Could you let me know - Is it actually possible at all to do geometry correction and blending within Watchout for four separate 1920x1080 in one display(3840x2160) output via a FX4?

Thanks

With regards to geometry: Yes, it is definitely possible, although fairly limited and cumbersome. Individual geometry will be limited to a simple 4-point correction by using a corner tween. 

Workflow can be a small mindf*ck, but again, if tight on budget, you will be able to manage.  

With regards to blending = this will be trickier, but if the budget is so low you can't even afford a projector that has this build in...  Yeah, I'd take on another gig.

On 10/16/2021 at 3:10 PM, Walter said:

With regards to geometry: Yes, it is definitely possible, although fairly limited and cumbersome. Individual geometry will be limited to a simple 4-point correction by using a corner tween. 

Workflow can be a small mindf*ck, but again, if tight on budget, you will be able to manage.  

With regards to blending = this will be trickier, but if the budget is so low you can't even afford a projector that has this build in...  Yeah, I'd take on another gig.

Interesting response.....

Unfortunately relying on the generally limited projectors capabilities isn't the solution for this gig it's too complex. Neither is the question based on a budgetary issues or concerns, but I appreciate the heads up.

Obviously Watchout wasn't built for this type of setup in mind,