Error message "Display computer: Conncetion Lost"

calebm

My watchout program and display pc stopped seeing each other...

I can go 'online'...but then a minute later, I get the red X on the stage indicating that the connection is lost.

The display comupter never stops showing the Watchout logo...which it normally does as soon as I go online.

I can ping from each box and see the other box...

So outside of watchout, I can connect to the other pc, but not inside watchout for some reason.

Setup...

Running watchout 5.1 on two Windows 7 boxes (one display, 1 program).

Program box is getting its IP dynamically, display box has a static IP of 192.168.0.101

There are no other computers on the network, it is a closed network...and there is no internet connection on the network.

The hub is a cisco/linksys e4200.

Anyone else have a similar problem...and a solution?

UPDATE:

It looks like my "Session" has become corrupt somehow...

If I start a new stage "session", I am able to go online no problem, and display content, and update no problem.

So it isn't a networking issue even though that was the error message I was getting.

Anyone run into this situation and have a solution for what seems to be a corupt file of some sort?

Had same problem of persisting 'Lost Connection' with a client's network recently. Cause turned out to be Windows Firewall. Turned it off, problem solved.

Re "Program box is getting its IP dynamically...The hub is a cisco/linksys e4200.". Suggest you change this to a static IP like the Display PC. Not sure if the cisco/linksys hub is also a router and plays a part in assigning the dynamic IP, but safer to eliminate any potential problems here.

Also check for faulty CAT-5 cables and plug-ends. Simpliest is to change to known working and stable cables or use a cable tester.

I never run a firewall on a WatchOUT machine. Or turn it off... you will have problems for days and days if you don't get rid of firewalls!

The only time I've seen "Lost Connection" that wasn't a powered down router it was a firewall.

Its possible that your Cisco/Linksys has some kind of management internally. Turn it off.

I use all NetGEAR unmanaged switches and I've had great success with connections. The only place I've seen good luck with putting WatchOUT on a managed network was at Qualcomm's main building and they have some very intense networking going on there.

Hope this helps!

Had same problem of persisting 'Lost Connection' with a client's network recently. Cause turned out to be Windows Firewall. Turned it off, problem solved.

Re "Program box is getting its IP dynamically...The hub is a cisco/linksys e4200.". Suggest you change this to a static IP like the Display PC. Not sure if the cisco/linksys hub is also a router and plays a part in assigning the dynamic IP, but safer to eliminate any potential problems here.

Also check for faulty CAT-5 cables and plug-ends. Simpliest is to change to known working and stable cables or use a cable tester.

To update my previous response...

I had a watchout key, or two, go bad. I was able to talk to one server but not the other. The key was intermittent in operation and kept acting like it was plugging/unplugging often.

Replacing the key fixed the issue and I have since exchanged all my keys for the new heavy duty keys. No more connection problems for this show!