How to close a TCP output connection

Luca

The user manual says:

When using the TCP protocol,

WATCHOUT will open the connection (if not already open), send the data

packet, and close the connection after about a minute of inactivity.

In that way I'm not able to send more than one command to the same host in a minute.

I need to open/close the shutter of a Panasonic Projector and I'm sending the 00osh:0$0D and 00osh:1$0D commands.

Everything works like a charm if I send a single command every 60sec to the projector but if i try to send more commands within 60s it happens that the first command works, the 2nd don't and the 3rd gives a warning after forcing the connection to close, after that, the 4th works ok and so on: 5th no, 6th no+warning+connection closed, 7th OK, ....

I was wandering if is there a way to smartly close the connection to avoid the warning and to control in a better way the connection closing.

It sounds like a strange protocol implementation that only allows for a single command after opening the connection. Are you sure that's the expected behavior of the protocol? Perhaps you're not terminating/framing the command properly?

To answer your direct question; no there's no way to expicitly force the connection to close immediately after each command. You may want to look into whether the projector also accepts commands over UDP, in which case that may be an alternative. An UDP port doesn't use a "connection" in ther same sense, so there's no connection to close in this case.

opening a telnet prompt it is possible to write several commands on a single connection of course.

but with watchout it seems that every time an output cue is "played", watchout try to establish a new connection even if the previous one is still active.

for example, if i need to shutter on the projector at time 05.00 and shutter off at 12.00 watchout plays the timeline till 5.00, than establishes a connection with the projector and turn the shutter on, after that, at time 12.00 it tryes to open another connection and send the shutter off command but the previous connection is still active so the command won't be sent.

a 3rd output cue will force the connection to close and give a warning message, so the 4th works well.

i'm ignoring the warning messages and using the 3 commands as a trik to close the connection but it is not a smart way to do the job...

the same problem occours with different tcp controlled devices (i.e. an IP power)

with watchout it seems that every time an output cue is "played", watchout try to establish a new connection even if the previous one is still active.

That shouldn't be the case. If you believe you see this behavior, please contact support@dataton.se with a small test show, to see if they can reproduce the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

The user manual says:

In that way I'm not able to send more than one command to the same host in a minute.

I need to open/close the shutter of a Panasonic Projector and I'm sending the 00osh:0$0D and 00osh:1$0D commands.

Everything works like a charm if I send a single command every 60sec to the projector but if i try to send more commands within 60s it happens that the first command works, the 2nd don't and the 3rd gives a warning after forcing the connection to close, after that, the 4th works ok and so on: 5th no, 6th no+warning+connection closed, 7th OK, ....

I was wandering if is there a way to smartly close the connection to avoid the warning and to control in a better way the connection closing.

I also have the same problem,and how you solve?

The user manual says:

Can you send an empty data every 60 seconds and to ensure that the projector don't close the connection?

i will test tomorrow !!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jonas, I've sent a projector to my local reseller which wants to do some tests himself.

BTW I'll try to send an UDP command instead of a TCP one but probably late in August as I'll come back from vacation the 20th.

I'll post here the results.

• 1 month later...

thanks to the help of my local reseller the problem is now solved.

1) remove administrator password from the projector web control interface

2) open a connection on TCP port 4352

3) send pjlink commands like this: %1COMMAND VALUE$0D (for example for power on command %1POWR 31$0D)