6 live inputs on a switcher & serial control

mpt_adam

Just spoke briefly with Jim Testa at SS and he confirmed we're basically going to be limited to about 4 inputs on a reliable system, using black magic intensity cards. I'll have upwards of 6 hdmi sources that I'd like to show on screen at different times, so I'm thinking of using a presentation switcher to feed my sources into, then send that to the capture card, and have serial output cues in the show to switch the input. Sound good?

Final goal is to have an ipad or external touchscreen control the show, calling up live demo's and then triggering pre-recorded video playback.

My other thought would be to use a small all in one touchscreen pc, and send serial control from it to the switcher and ascii commands to either the production system or setup as a display cluster and control without a production system.

Could use your experienced input, thanks.

An iPad or other external touch screen should work fine. We can provide libraries that make communicating with WATCHOUT easier from a browser (e.g., iPad) or a touch screen computer running either a modern browser or something based on Adobe Flash/AIR. There are examples as well on how to do basic panels witha couple of buttons. For the Flash based solutions, you can download the WATCHOUT Systems Manager from our website. Contact support if you need the JavaScript based library/examples, and they can provide that.

Mike

Using a Display computer as a switcher might not be a good idea, but your idea with having a switcher in front of the capture input,

makes a lot of sense. Preferably a switcher with scaled output, keeping the resolution stable to the capture card solution downstream.

/jonas

Just spoke briefly with Jim Testa at SS and he confirmed we're basically going to be limited to about 4 inputs on a reliable system, using black magic intensity cards. I'll have upwards of 6 hdmi sources that I'd like to show on screen at different times, so I'm thinking of using a presentation switcher to feed my sources into, then send that to the capture card, and have serial output cues in the show to switch the input. Sound good?

Final goal is to have an ipad or external touchscreen control the show, calling up live demo's and then triggering pre-recorded video playback.

My other thought would be to use a small all in one touchscreen pc, and send serial control from it to the switcher and ascii commands to either the production system or setup as a display cluster and control without a production system.

Could use your experienced input, thanks.

Any comments on using serial outputs from the system to control the switcher? Or should I look at controlling that in addition to watchout from the touchscreen interface?

Depends on your use case. If you can get by with the serial output capabilities of WATCHOUT, I'd say that using it this way simplifies things compared to adding an extra piece of software to do this. Otoh, if you need more flexibility than the serial output of WATCHOUT provides, a separate piece of software will be required.