Watchpax IP Address

dchristo

I see in the v5.5 release notes the setIP command to set the Watchpax IP address, but how do I set the subnet mask and gateway?

Thanks,

--D

If you wish to control those parameters, provide a DHCP server to do it.

I run my test rig that way.

The ONLY reason to use setIP is to add an EXTRA IP specifically for external control

when a self assigned IP is used by WATCHPAX, WATCHOUT will not use the IP address from setIP.

In some cases, you may still need to use a fixed IP number. For instance when using another system to control WATCHOUT as part of an installation, that control system requires a known and fixed IP number in order to talk to WATCHOUT. If you're using regular computers, you can set the IP number through Windows. However, WATCHPAX doesn't have this option due to its locked down operating system. Here, you use a new control protocol command to assign a fixed IP number:

• 1 year later...

Hi Jim,

Just got Watchpax 2 unit and doing some testing.

Do I understand that Watchpax has a fixed IP address that cannot be changed outside of having a DHCP server assign it?

Essentially that is correct, it is fixed to the DHCP setting,

and when there is no DHCP server,

it will self assign an IP.

When no DHCP server is present, if one comptuer in the systen is using DHCP (like a WATCHPAX),

then all computers (including production) need to use DHCP for the Windows NIC configuration

so they all self assign in the same subdoman.

WARNING The setIP command DOES NOT SET the IP for WATCHOUT.

The command should be called setControl_IP, as it is only used to set an external IP for

other controllers to use (Medialon, AMX, Crestron, ShowMan, etc, etc.)

We prefer to use fixed addresses for our shows and we would like to assign specific addresses. 

Thanks

Prefer it or not, it is not an option with WATCHPAX. 

WATCHPAX and WATCHPAX 2 are Zero configuration, and that means what it says,

you can not change IP configuration on WATCHPAX.

That is the whole reason the new computer name function was introduced in v5.5+

BTW When using only regular PC computers with WATCHOUT keys,

you are free to use fixed IP in the Windows configuration,

but you should still use the new computer name in the display dialog.

• 9 months later...

I have a question about my watchpax. . .It suddenly lost its ip address  and now my production computer cannot find it.. . . I am unable to assign its correct address ( which I have) because  the watchpax  is frozen. . .displaying on the screen the sentence. . . ( unable to find Watchout license ). . . can anybody help me to get this watchpax back on line ???. . . .Thank you. . Desperate in Wisconsin

• 2 months later...

I'm working with two WATCHPAX ver 1.  Which want to be included on a network with other Watchout Displays and lighting control all in the 10.10.10.x domain.  

When I use my laptop (with parallels)  I have no problem "changing" the IP to 10.10.10.x domain on each watchpax and connecting to them from the Virtual Machine Windows 7 Professional system.  I have the mac side looking for DHCP (and it sees the "native" address of each of the watchpax) and on my windows side i have a static IP set at 10.10.10.x and it connects sees and connects to the newly set 10.10.10.x IP'S on each watchpax.  Additionally other controls can be sent and received via Artnet and all is well.  

Until.

I remove my computer as the production machine and place in a iMac with Bootcamp  (running Windows 7 enterprise).  It continues to the see the watchpax in the application (green ok when checking the IP), but when you go online to transfer content the PAX (both of them) "freeze'  and claim the network connection is lost.   Trying to use watchout VNC at this point usually doesn't work either (remote connection lost or some such)

so you cycle the power.  you open everything up again and it appears (offline) that it's all going to work.  You can remote manage them through VNC until you try to go online and again and back to the paragraph above...

I'm wondering if my laptop config is actually supplying a DHCP server and that is somehow allowing the win 7 static Ip to operate flawlessly.

However in Bootcamp... it's having some sort of conflict between the "native IP" of the watchpax and the newly assigned IP.   I set Win 7 on this macine to accept multiple networks. DHCP as primary and an alternate in the 10.10.10.x domain (and of course watchout seems happy offline..) but it still crashes when going online.

Is my only choice to reset to the native IP and then ask all the other departments to do the same?   Am I missing something obvious?  Is there additional networking features I can add to make the Bootcamp Win 7 behave?  Is it a difference of Enterprise vs Professional ( I wouldn't think so... but.)

I turn to the good folks of the forum for advice and guidance.  Thank you!

since setIP works differently in v5 and v6,

the version you are running is critical to answering your question.

in v6 IP addressing is a no-brainer, look specifically at the thing that changed,

your production computer.

In v5, I am pretty sure I did what you describe, and I did not use setIP on any watchpax.

this made for a solid reliable system.

reference: v5.5+ computer name - fundamental change in display dialog address assignment

As for you replacement produciton machine, check for firewall, etc.

Bootcamp simply identifies it is a true Windows native install,

so all Windows considerations apply, including the Apple sourced hardware drivers

supplied in the bootcamp materials.

(specifically the NIC driver, if it says Microsoft source, that is a likely issue.)

I'm working with two WATCHPAX ver 1.  Which want to be included on a network with other Watchout Displays and lighting control all in the 10.10.10.x domain.  

When I use my laptop (with parallels)  I have no problem "changing" the IP to 10.10.10.x domain on each watchpax and connecting to them from the Virtual Machine Windows 7 Professional system.  I have the mac side looking for DHCP (and it sees the "native" address of each of the watchpax) and on my windows side i have a static IP set at 10.10.10.x and it connects sees and connects to the newly set 10.10.10.x IP'S on each watchpax.  Additionally other controls can be sent and received via Artnet and all is well.  

Until.

I remove my computer as the production machine and place in a iMac with Bootcamp  (running Windows 7 enterprise).  It continues to the see the watchpax in the application (green ok when checking the IP), but when you go online to transfer content the PAX (both of them) "freeze'  and claim the network connection is lost.   Trying to use watchout VNC at this point usually doesn't work either (remote connection lost or some such)

so you cycle the power.  you open everything up again and it appears (offline) that it's all going to work.  You can remote manage them through VNC until you try to go online and again and back to the paragraph above...

I'm wondering if my laptop config is actually supplying a DHCP server and that is somehow allowing the win 7 static Ip to operate flawlessly.

However in Bootcamp... it's having some sort of conflict between the "native IP" of the watchpax and the newly assigned IP.   I set Win 7 on this macine to accept multiple networks. DHCP as primary and an alternate in the 10.10.10.x domain (and of course watchout seems happy offline..) but it still crashes when going online.

Is my only choice to reset to the native IP and then ask all the other departments to do the same?   Am I missing something obvious?  Is there additional networking features I can add to make the Bootcamp Win 7 behave?  Is it a difference of Enterprise vs Professional ( I wouldn't think so... but.)

I turn to the good folks of the forum for advice and guidance.  Thank you!

• 4 years later...