Best practice for multi-channel audio with Watchpax 4?

Johnny

We're installing three Watchpax 4 for a permanent install, and we want to achieve 4 channel surround output from the playback. Preferably over Dante, but we have analog inputs to spare.

Is there any multi-channel USB soundcard that's more or less officially recommended?

I guess it's impossible/not recommended to install drivers (or Dante Virtual Soundcard) on the Watchpax units?

Is it possible to use multiple 2-channel soundcards?

Is it possible to output different audio channels on each machine?

Thanks!

On 12/27/2019 at 10:46 AM, Johnny said:

We're installing three Watchpax 4 for a permanent install, and we want to achieve 4 channel surround output from the playback. Preferably over Dante, but we have analog inputs to spare.

Is there any multi-channel USB soundcard that's more or less officially recommended?

Depends on the age of the WATCHPAX 4.

very recent WATCHPAX 4

FocusRite Scarlett 18i20 gen 3

Older WATCHPAX 4

GIGAPORT HD+ High Quality 24-bit 8-out USB Audio Interface

Focusrite 18i20 is Scarlett gen 2 (note that the Focusrite USB interface have to be 2nd generation – 1st does not work, 3rd does not work with this version of the WATCHPAX 4 image)

I guess it's impossible/not recommended to install drivers (or Dante Virtual Soundcard) on the Watchpax units?

correct

Is it possible to use multiple 2-channel soundcards?

No

Is it possible to output different audio channels on each machine?

Yes

The machines were delivered this autumn, does that count as very recent?

I guess the smaller Scarlett interfaces would work just as well? I'd prefer balanced outputs, but 5 times the number of outputs and a full rack unit seems a bit much.

Are there any sync/phasing issues etc to be aware of when running sound from separate machines? That seems to be the easiest solution as all three machines are in the same rack, essentially giving me 6 outputs "for free".

Thank you!

• Dataton Partner

Using outputs on more than one server can lead to phasing. WATCHOUT is synchronizing over the network but not phase-accurate! If you produce your audio in a way that you don't have the same content on outputs of two otr more servers, e.g. using the other outputs more for additional effects, it would work.

On 12/28/2019 at 6:42 PM, jfk said:

Depends on the age of the WATCHPAX 4.

very recent WATCHPAX 4

FocusRite Scarlett 18i20 gen 3

Older WATCHPAX 4

GIGAPORT HD+ High Quality 24-bit 8-out USB Audio Interface

Focusrite 18i20 is Scarlett gen 2 (note that the Focusrite USB interface have to be 2nd generation – 1st does not work, 3rd does not work with this version of the WATCHPAX 4 image)

Hi!

This counts for the image version of the watchpax 4 or is there a hardware change?
According to my supplier, i have R38 image installed, should the Gen3 Focusrite work?

Thanks,

On 12/30/2019 at 3:00 PM, Ruben Wessels said:

Hi!

This counts for the image version of the watchpax 4 or is there a hardware change?
According to my supplier, i have R38 image installed, should the Gen3 Focusrite work?

Thanks,

Yes, the FocusRite Scarlett 18i20 gen 3 is supported in WATCHPAX 4 r38. There is no hardware change involved.