Blackmagic Quad hdmi does not work on Watchout

johnyjohn

Black Magic Media Express uses a proprietary Black Magic driver. WATCHOUT requires a generic Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver. BMD Media Express confirms the physical connection for WATCHOUT, it does NOT confirm the drivers required for WATCHOUT. BMD WDM drivers are notoriously difficult to get right, most experienced users avoid BMD for this reason.

• 1 month later...

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/software

As you can see from the link, the decklink family supports WDM drivers.

In fact, I have used it normally in WO with Intensity Pro and SDI capture card.

Double-check that the correct device is selected in the watchpoint settings.

Also try changing the live input signal setting to a different type in the watchmaker.

4 hours ago, artboy said:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/software

As you can see from the link, the decklink family supports WDM drivers.

In fact, I have used it normally in WO with Intensity Pro and SDI capture card.

Agreed, it is possible to make the BlackMagic Design WDM driver work. That said, the BMD WDM driver is idiosyncratic. A customer reported they were able to successfully get it to work, but it took significant hours of research, trial and error. Windows build, driver version number, and something they chose not to divulge were needed to tweak their system to function properly with a BMD card. On later servers that customer abandoned BlackMagic Design and switched to Magewell capture cards.

Double-check that the correct device is selected in the watchpoint settings.

Yes, if I recall correctly, there are two entries for each output and with some driver versions the one that looks correct isn't.

Also try changing the live input signal setting to a different type in the watchmaker.

And that is another area BMD is sensitive. Different interpretations of standards can confuse (for example, 1080i 30 frames per second may appear as 1080i 60 fields per second or vice versa).

With some other vendors cards, the card ignores the WATCHOUT input signal type setting and automatically adapts to the input signal type making them easier to work with.

-------------------
Caveat emptor, ymmv

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Make your normal settings on Watchout. Try step by step, reducing the output of the source computer from 60 hertz on the computer. After capturing the signal, go back to the hertz setting you want.

The important thing is that Black Magic cards catch the signal once, then they will not forget it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

On 10/9/2020 at 3:19 PM, johnyjohn said:

Thanks everyone for your answers.

I tried it and it worked with selecting the BMD WDM.

Hi

I think I have a similar issue with my Decklink 4K Extreme SDI cards. 

I can see Live Input in the BMD Media Express, but nothing is showing up in WO Live Video. 

looking in my Watchpoint and I only have 1 "Video In" to choose from, and that is "Decklink Video Capture".

It sounds like there should a WDM driver too also choose from? but I don't know how to do this.

How did you get Watchpoint to show your WDM driver?

On 6/22/2020 at 3:12 PM, jfk said:

Black Magic Media Express uses a proprietary Black Magic driver. WATCHOUT requires a generic Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver. BMD Media Express confirms the physical connection for WATCHOUT, it does NOT confirm the drivers required for WATCHOUT. BMD WDM drivers are notoriously difficult to get right, most experienced users avoid BMD for this reason.

BMD WDM drivers are notoriously difficult to get right"

How do you get it right? 

Nowhere can I find help on how to get this working, or at least confirm its existence on my computer.  You mentioned previously if it doesn't show up in Watchpoint Device Inputs then that's a problem, but where is this WDM driver and how do we get it to show in Watchpoint? 

Not having any success with BMD and WO Live Video 

Ladies and Gentlemen, I got it working!!!

I updated BM Desktop Video to the latest version that works with my Windows 7. (Decklink Video Version 10.4.2) 

Some older BM Desktop versions were not giving me the WDM driver option.

I can now see the Blackmagic WDM Capture and the Decklink Video Capture in the Watchpoint Device input. 

I have just one last question... 

I still don't have Live Video capture inside my Production computer. I updated my BM capture card in the production computer exactly the same as I did with my display computers. 

I have both Blackmagic WDM Capture and Decklink Video Capture options to choose from inside WO Production> Preference> Video Input. 

I've ticked Live Video in the media box, but nothing is showing in my stage pre-review screen.

Any ideas how to fix this?