Thoughts? Is Version 7 ready for show environments?

• Dataton Partner

Hi @Steve Farris, I've done quite a few shows now using 7. If it has the features you require, just go for it, it's solid and has a much better workflow imho. I personally wouldn't want to run 6 anymore on a show.... 

I often use the force function for 2D calibration. 

That part hasn't been implemented in WATCHOU7. It's not easy to make delicate calibration. 

No need for online or features like asset manager definitely help, but there's too little material to learn new features (manuals, video tutorials, etc.)

Since it's a new process, when setting up and using certain features, I need official opinions, not personal speculation. I look up the manual and there's no details. 

I don't have any data on which of the many features are implemented now and which are not. I think it would be very helpful if there was an organization.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a similar issue here. I work at a smaller scale where the live backup isn't a requirement, but I basically don't have access to a set of core projection mapping effects. (I'm a theater designer, my work is 95% composites/layers on site)

Things that are stopping me from using it

• Corners Effect is Missing for last minute content mapping. I can't stress how much this messes up my non-3D mapped shows. Sometimes you need to fake it on site and you don't have time to manually keystone it. (Banners, Posters, anything rectalinear)
  • We need more color control (as posted above) Tint and Black and White especially. This can be kludged, but it isn't effective for my time
  • We don't have a gain/offset (but we do have per-color offsets... I feel like this is an easy one to put them all together
  • In a perfect world I'd like to see an exposure effect (QLab) or levels effect, not just a gain/offset as I'm often just adjusting levels to make content work against stage lighting. Honestly I'd be thrilled to see a real levels shader with high/low/mid adjustable in a media server. That would make most of my complaints about exposure go away.

Things that make me wish I could use it

• NDI support is amazing for previsualization, I'm bitter when I spool up a display server and capture software to create streams
  • Workflow is more stable/faster
  • Changing display types and the virtual displays are much easier to understand and use
  • I like the new variable controls and the fact I can run a display out of my producer computer in a pinch. Sometimes cables/electricians fail during rehearsals and having the ability to just drop in an NDI Source or another output is something I value.
  • I can probably run it on AMD GPUs without weird display issues.
  • OSC might actually be first class soon for show control instead of MIDI (We still need go to cue)

Honestly, if I had the corners effect I'd probably have moved my shows to 7 at this point.