Watchpoint Autorun and "license key not found" issue

melies

Hello, I did upgrade to W5.3 last week.

Every thing goes well if I run the display computer and then start watchpoint manually.

However, when I autorun watchpoint  at display computer startup, an error occured "licence key not found" .Not all the times, but sometimes.

It looks like watchpoint autorun goes faster than the display computer recognise the dongle ...

I had a look to the "windows tweaking list" found on this forum:

The only thing i did'nt at W5.3 installation was forcing dongle installation in every USB ports.

May this explain the problem ?

Thanks for your help.

• Dataton Partner

Hello, I did upgrade to W5.3 last week.

Every thing goes well if I run the display computer and then start watchpoint manually.

However, when I autorun watchpoint at display computer startup, an error occured "licence key not found" .Not all the times, but sometimes.

It looks like watchpoint autorun goes faster than the display computer recognise the dongle ...

I had a look to the "windows tweaking list" found on this forum:

The only thing i did'nt at W5.3 installation was forcing dongle installation in every USB ports.

May this explain the problem ?

Thanks for your help.

Try using a free app called StartupDelay. Works like a charm (you can set a delay for starting watchout giving the machine the time to load all necessary drivers.)

Thanks a lot Walter. Actually, I cannot try this soft, but i'mpretty certain it will do the job.

In fact , I lend this Watchout system to a "newbie" user , and this is the reason I need the autostart of watchpoint on the display computer. (ordinary I use vnc to get control on my displays units)

When I met this dongle problem at autostartup, first thing i thought was " Why can't we choose for an order and time in msconfig startup programs"

At least we can do it with this soft.

So thanks a lot !

(ordinary I use vnc to get control on my displays units)

I can not stress this enough:

DO NOT install any version of VNC on the Display computers!!

It WILL interfere with normal WATCHOUT playback and reliability!!

This is because there is already VNC installed by WATCHOUT itself, to aid with the "Manage Display Computer" function.

(Ctrl+Shift+A or Stage -> Manage Display Computer)

/jonas

Jonas,

I notice that you included the shortcut keys for manage dsplay computer. This may be in the pull down menu, and I haven't memorized it yet, but is there a list of ALL the keystroke shortcuts? This would be fantastic information pinned along with the tweaks, reccommended systems, etc.....

Thanks,

Clint

OK, I do agree using VNC may interfer with WO.

By now, you can not network manage a display computer only using Watchout. You only can do an ON/OFF.

If I need to change graphical resolution, or something else, on a distant display, Without any screen, any keyboard, any mouse, how do I do?

At least, I must be very trustfull in Watchout display autostart and nothing goes wrong... if not, I ain't got the hand on the display computer, and so what ? Shutter?

Can we really call "manage display computer" something that only allow you to shut down or on a computer?

I'm sorry and don't want to be "désagréable"

Melies,

If all your computers are on and watchout is running, Select a display of the computer you want to manage. Then select manage display > Remote Access on the menu. This will pop up a VNC screen on the production computer allowing you to change anything you wish on the Display computer. Just don't close Watchout on the display PC.  Pg. 132 in the manual.

• Dataton Partner

Thanks a lot cowboyclint !

As i always say "Read the F****** Manual"

I feel so stupid now!

I will uninstall Vnc today .

;-)  LOL.

No worries, we all had to learn !! 

Thanks a lot cowboyclint !

As i always say "Read the F****** Manual"

I feel so stupid now!

I will uninstall Vnc today .

Uninstall may or may not work cleanly. While the uninstaller may remove registry entries related to itself,

it will likely not restore the WATCHOUT placed VNC registry entries it overwrote.

Ideally you would resort to your tuned baseline. If you do not have a tuned baseline,

start from step 1 and make one. Shortcuts are the road to anomaly.

This command has been there since WATCHOUT 4... (2008) :)

One can change quite a lot of things remotely this way, resolution included. Some things might need a restart, which can easily be done from the remote PC::s menus, then wait for the DisplayPC to restart to regain control of the system.

/jonas

Uninstall may or may not work cleanly. While the uninstaller may remove registry entries related to itself,

it will likely not restore the WATCHOUT placed VNC registry entries it overwrote.

Ideally you would resort to your tuned baseline. If you do not have a tuned baseline,

start from step 1 and make one. Shortcuts are the road to anomaly.

Hello,

I'm not sure what a "tuned baseline" is (my english is not good enough) but I understand it's a clean install you can rely on in case of problems. Is it?

Yes.

As I'm about to try to install new CODECs on my WO, I feel I'd better get such a backup.

Could you please explain how or redirect me to the right topic?

Thanks a lot

Jean-Luc

Follow the instructions found in this post:

WATCHOUT version 5 and Windows 7, 32- or 64-bit?

Note, that post is fairly old, although the tweaking lists are still valid,

Windows 64 bit has since become the preferred version,

although 32 bit is still fine for WATCHOUT,

some option hardware/drivers (like capture cards) are better off in 64 bit.

If you are making a playback only machine with no live video capability (capture cards),

either one will be fine.

TEST. Then TEST AGAIN.

When that is complete, you have a tuned baseline.

Use an archiving software like Acronis TrueImage to make an archive of the result from the above procedure.

Then you can easily and quickly return to the tuned baseline.

I wanted to play PhotoJPEG and Prores medias 

It should be possible without any codec pack installations.

PhotoJPEG and ProRes is played back via QuickTime, which one normally has installed anyway.

Although not preferred/recommended, it can be made to work.

From our "WATCHOUT - Codecs for stable WATCHOUT playback - 2012"-pdf, enclosed:

Other QuickTime formats - ProRes, PhotoJPEG etc

QuickTime is not a format, but a container, that support different codecs.
.mov as a file ending does not tell you which one is used.
WATCHOUT support some of these itself, i.e. h264 (.mp4) and Animation.
Others are played back via QuickTime, as ProRes, PhotoJPEG/M-JPEG etc, 
with various success rate. This is a bit out of our control, since it's Apples code.
QuickTime are single-threaded on Windows, and do not support all formats/profiles in Windows, as it does in MacOSX.
WATCHOUT:s supplied codecs is multi-threaded, as is WATCHOUT.

- ProRes/PhotoJPEG/M-JPEG is not recommended for stable and reliable WATCHOUT playback.
If it works for you, great. Some swear by it, some carefully avoid it.
These codecs usually also mean higher, sometimes VERY much higher bit-rates, 
and increases the load on your hardware, more so than MPEG-2, h264 or WMV, 
at the same resolution, so make sure your hardware support this!

/jonas

I recall having issues with license keys not being found on boot, back when first using WO 5.0.

WO was loading faster than the license software - so patching the Codemeter software resolved the problem for me.

Tom

I also had some issues with license key last week on my two very new computers , fixed this using startup delayer, working great !

But Tommov, please, where did you find this patch for the codemeter software ?

This command has been there since WATCHOUT 4... (2008) :)

One can change quite a lot of things remotely this way, resolution included. Some things might need a restart, which can easily be done from the remote PC::s menus, then wait for the DisplayPC to restart to regain control of the system.

/jonas

OK, but I was still working with WO3 last season !

I did use WO4 sometimes last year but did'nt noticed this remote access (to be honnest I did, but I never selected the display in the stage window before to try the manage computer command...)

By now I have 4 new WO5 licenses .

I must say this remote access works great !