Dataton Forum
marklian

Experience with WX 9100 and S400

Hi there,
Just trying to put together a new system and wonder if anyone has used the newer WX9100 instead of the older W9100 with S400 successfully on WO6?

Trying to get 6 outputs if possible and this card is newer.

Thanks!

Which OS? I haven't tested the sync card properly but in Win10 you will have 6x 4k outputs. There is a bug in AMD's win7 drivers preventing more than 3x 4k DirectX9 surfaces.

Hi Miro,

Thanks for the reply. We actually jumped the gun and went ahead with 3 of these WX9100 and S400. Running Win10 and WO6 (also freshly upgraded)

Will do a battery of test over the next few weeks. Let me know if you're interested in the results.

Which OS? I haven't tested the sync card properly but in Win10 you will have 6x 4k outputs. There is a bug in AMD's win7 drivers preventing more than 3x 4k DirectX9 surfaces.

In my testing with the WX9100 on Wndows 10, WO 6.1.6 will not even open with 4 4K monitors connected. 3 is okay which is the same for the WX7100 and 5100 cards. Do you know of a trick to achieve more then 3

Which version of windows 10 did you test and which AMD drivers? If hardware sync is not important then 4x 4K works fine with W5100 or better (probably works fine with W4100 too but I haven't tested that one).

Here is a picture from my tests running 4x 4K 60 Hz using AMD W5100 in a Win10 x64 Enterprise LTSB server.

post-13299-0-45708700-1514454170_thumb.jpg

Also make sure to run the same display mode on all displays.. Some cards seems to default to using 8-bit color depth on some ports and 10-bit color depth on others. Set all to 8-bit.

Which version of windows 10 did you test and which AMD drivers? If hardware sync is not important then 4x 4K works fine with W5100 or better (probably works fine with W4100 too but I haven't tested that one).

Here is a picture from my tests running 4x 4K 60 Hz using AMD W5100 in a Win10 x64 Enterprise LTSB server.

attachicon.gifAMD_W5100_4x4k_WIN10.jpg

Also make sure to run the same display mode on all displays.. Some cards seems to default to using 8-bit color depth on some ports and 10-bit color depth on others. Set all to 8-bit.

Well I am off to the shop then to retest. I am running a modified version of Win10 using NTlite to strip out all the "fun stuff". 

Hi guys,  we are using the same cards here and have a very specific problem with them. All 6 displays work fine in "regular W10". If we go to watchout display, watchpoint / watchout will keep rebooting endlessly. If we start watchout display with 4 outputs live, then add the 5th and later on the 6th miniDP; Watchpoint works on 6 outputs. 

All outputs are 1920x1080 @ 60.  Forcing emulates ha exactly the same problem. 

Anyone any idea where this is coming from? 

attachicon.gifAMD_W5100_4x4k_WIN10.jpg

Miro,

Pray tell some of the hardware specs you were using for the 4x4K decode -

cpu - Intel i7 or i9 which specific model?

cpu cooler - air or water cooled? If air, which model? I understand the i9 with a TDP of 140W can exceed that under load.

harddisks or SSD - in RAID mode? RAID 0, 1 or 5 using motherboard RAID or 3rd party RAID card? How many SSDs in the RAID?

Reason I am asking is that I am trying to put together a set of Production and Display unit specifically for 4x4K output.

Thanks.

Thomas Leong

Thanks.

Sorry for the delayed response, I was able to get 4x4K out of the wx5100, 7100 and 9100 @60. Just needed to use better cables it seems.

Went Display Port direct into our X80 and the 4K looked great. 

Thanks Miro

5 hours ago, Brecht said:

I have the W9100 and have 6 x 4K at 30hz. Windows 10 and WO 6.2.1

"6 x 4K at 30Hz" using what output adapters? I found out that DP-HDMI 1.x will max out at 30Hz. One needs DP-HDMI 2.0 (or at a guess DP-DP) to get 4K at 60Hz.

My tests were done with a single 4K monitor though, not more, and with the WX4100.

Hi, we are running multiple servers with AMD WX 9100 driving 6x 4K monitors/projectors at 60 Hz.

In our lab we are using the locking AMD miniDP to DP converters with 3 meter hi-quality DP cables connected to each monitor. In real life the distance between server and projectors or monitors is a bit longer and in this case optical DP extenders are used.

The main difference between displayport and HDMI is that displayport performs link training to evaluate the cable in order to determine how many lanes should be used and at which clock rate. The problem with 4k60 is that all links must be used at maximum clock speed and this is only possible in short cable routes. Running normal cables longer than 3 meters is problematic in this case.

HDMI 2.0 and 2.1 is an option but adapters shorten the theoretical cable length. Also cables are not marked with HDMI 2.0 which makes it a bit confusing. HDMI 4k cables are version 1.4 supporting only 4k30. Look for cables labeled as HDMI 4k HDR (usually 18 Gb/s) which are HDMI 2.0. When using DP to HDMI 2.0 adapters the cables shouldn't be longer than 3 meters. 5 meter cables are rated for connecting directly between source and display and an adapter introduces to much signal loss.

I never had any good experience using boosters or amplifiers. Fiberoptics or quad link 3G SDI the way to go if you need longer cable routes.

Additionally I always force emulate EDID especially when using sync cards.

It takes a while for the driver to synchronize when entering fullscreen mode and with that many outputs Windows might kill the display driver because it doesn't respond fast enough resulting in blue screens. It's recommended extends this time limit using the registry. 

. Docs: Microsoft TDR Registry Keys

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers TdrDelay should be increased to 15 seconds (default is 2 seconds, decimal value DWORD)
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers TdrDdiDelay should be increased to 60 seconds (default is 5 seconds, decimal value DWORD)
//Miro