Custom control app for WO at Bein Sports Studios

Alex Ramos

Hey all,
Id like to share some of the control apps me and my buddy created for Bein Sports studios in Doha.

Its not a complex studio to operate, and the app makes it even easier/faster.
All of the operators running the screens never seen or heard ff WO before coming here so not having to interact directly with WO timelines and controls is a charm for them.

In one of the videos you can see that we can update the control app directly from the display cluster.
What I mean is that when ever we add a new team, players or any other cue to WO the app will connect with the display cluster and auto update it self.

I decided to always keep the production running and use the app to control the production rather than control the cluster directly.

This makes it easier and faster to add any last minute changes to the show.

We create custom apps for each studio and each show, some are a lot more complicated than others and with more functions.

Will try to update this post with some more studio apps.

Studio 3A Video
Studio 3A Control app Video
Studio 3A Auto Update Video

Setup Studio 3A
14*4 videowall Nec X464UN
2* WO Display machines, 2 output each
Datapth VisionSDI2 capture
1* Production
AMD FirePro V7900
i7 CPU
8 Gb Ram
DVI parrots
Draco DVI extenders

The control app in this studio helps operators to create, on the fly, a starting list for the teams playing the match and display the list in an animated sequence onver the

30 individual screens, there is the option to also show the team coachs in the central videowall.

SDI and the 4mm background LED medias are also possible as the background city changes accordingly to the time of the day the match is played.

Also a daily media time line was created and a control for it on app, we use this for specific to the day match videos and pictures.

This time line is cleanded in the end of each day.

Again all the updates on the app are made automatically when connecting with the cluster.

All this can be made without updating WO.

Studio 9A has a litle bit more equipment.

This list is only one side of the studio.

40*4m 4mm LED screen

1 display machine

AMD FirePro W9100 using 6 output

i7 CPU

8Gb RAM

30* Samsung individual displays

30* WachPax 1

3* Samsung videowall 

1* Display machine

AMD FirePro W7100 using 3 output

Datapath VisionSDI2

i7 CPU

8Gb RAM

3* Gefen DisplayPort Extender over fiber

Studio 9A

Studio 9A Control

Wiesemann the main reason for the app is to prevent the show update.

All possibilities are created previously and can be called and managed using a mix of simultaneous TCP commands.

The app can execute many generic inputs at once run/stop media, control opacity, position, size, ...

Nope, not using Dynamic Image server but rather nginx.

Dynamic Image server fails handle many files at the same time, and it an extra licence.

Nginx in this case, where the update can be done with a Cue, is OK.

We use a control app to help using nginx to deliver slide shows with pictures.

The app loads the pictures in the order we wana run the slideshow, moves it to the right server folder, resizes, renames and converts to .PNG.

WO just need to display the pictures.

Again the reason for this is to prevent updating WO and going black during the show.

Studio 5C Picture Control app 1

Studio 5C Picture Control app 2

Nope, not using Dynamic Image server but rather nginx.

Dynamic Image server fails handle many files at the same time, and it an extra licence.

Nginx in this case, where the update can be done with a Cue, is OK.

We use a control app to help using nginx to deliver slide shows with pictures.

The app loads the pictures in the order we wana run the slideshow, moves it to the right server folder, resizes, renames and converts to .PNG.

WO just need to display the pictures.

Again the reason for this is to prevent updating WO and going black during the show.

Studio 5C Picture Control app 1

Studio 5C Picture Control app 2

Are you saying that your application changes the .png source file on the display computer

without using watchmaker to place them there?

That will not work. All .png files are preprocessed during the transfer from watchmaker.

Changing the source file on the watchpoint PC after watchmaker has placed them

will not change the preprocessed information, so you will not see the change.

Would be better to use the URL proxy function to reference the new .png files.

Have done this with as many as 45 URL referenced 1920x1080 .png files

changing every ten seconds and it worked fine.

Are you saying that your application changes the .png source file on the display computer

without using watchmaker to place them there?

No, for that I would need dynamic image server.

The app changes only the, next pictures as the cue load, not the one currently on screen.

Im using URL proxy, to load from a local web server, this way we can use as many pictures as we want as the pictures are only load upon each cue play, contrary to dynamic image server that is permanently updating, creating big stress on the network and server machine.

I'm using URL proxy, to load from a local web server, this way we can use as many pictures as we want as the pictures are only load upon each cue play, contrary to dynamic image server that is permanently updating, creating big stress on the network and server machine.

There's really no "permanently updating" action going on when using the dynamic image server for stills. The image is sent when first loaded and when updated, but only rarely in between. So for stills, there shouldn't be that much traffic. Furthermore, version 6 sends the image data compressed (using its original format, such as JPEG or PNG), which further reduces network bandwidth (the old image server sent images uncopressed, which used much more network bandwidth). Alex, are you using version 5 or 6? Presumaby 5, since I know your system has been running for quite some time.

Yeah. V5.

On my experience 24 stills around 1920x1080 was to much for DYS.

DYS seems to keep an whatchdog on the pictures folders and files, and will update the cluster if something changes on to this folders/files.

And doing this for 24+ files was at the time a problem, crashing, slow update or no update at all.

I would like to see more and more possibilities of interaction via TCP, UDP with WO.

Here we can create compositions with the media already loaded to the displays.

Do any adjustment and preview it before play.

All without updating WO and getting the black screen.

Studio 6A Video

Studio 6A Control app

Setup Studio 6A

4*6 videowall Sharp

3* 103" Plasma

3* WO Display machines, 2 output each

Datapth VisionSDI2 capture

1* Production

AMD FirePro V7900

i7 CPU

8 Gb Ram

DVI parrots