Can't play hap mov file

Fred Leung

I just build my watchout server, installed the software and followed the tweak guide for win10 enterprise. I tried to use the ffmpeg to convert two files as in the help center command lines.

ffmpeg.exe -i input.mp4 -c:v libx264 -preset slow -tune fastdecode -profile:v baseline -g 30 -bf 0 -b:v 25M -y output.mp4

ffmpeg.exe -i input.mp4 -c:v hap -format hap_q -y output.mov 

both of these files are not working well, mp4 file stuck all the time, like playing slideshow, and the mov file can't be played, all I got is black screen, what else should I do on the system or the software?

my hardware is i9 core processor with WX9100 graphic card and samsung 970 pro nvme SSD, gigabyte z390 master motherboard.

thanks.

I suggest you re-open the watchout installer and select repair.

Also, what are the resolution and frame rate of the movie? (larger movies may need a chunk parameter to perform correctly)

The resolution and frame rate is 3840*2160_60hz.

I tried to reinstall the software, and still the same, then I installed a new win10 enterprise system, and tried, still the same.

Do I need to install some special codecs? I tried with K-lite and win10 codecs as well, the video runs well at the first time, then I restart the server, and the problem still exists.

how can I apply the chunk parameter?

20200730135907.png

2 hours ago, Fred Leung said:

The resolution and frame rate is 3840*2160_60hz.

And as you seem to grasp, that will benefit from chunks, I would try 4 chunks for that size/refresh rate.

I tried to reinstall the software, and still the same,

While reinstalling the software is certainly OK, it is an unnecessary process with extra steps that increase the potential for introducing new errors. Repair should correct things like corrupted codecs, license key drivers, etc. and has less potential to introduce new variables.

then I installed a new win10 enterprise system, and tried, still the same.

I assume you ran the Windows 10 Tweaking Guide. Unless you doubted your clean install and applications of the tweak list were run correctly the first time, this seems unnecessary.

Do I need to install some special codecs?

Absolutely NOT. Any other software that installs codecs is NOT recommended on a dedicated watchpoint computer. Installed codecs may interfere with normal WATCHOUT operation.

I tried with K-lite and win10 codecs as well, the video runs well at the first time, then I restart the server, and the problem still exists.

No idea what K-Lite is but if you have installed codecs on your watchpoint server get rid of them and then run Repair.

how can I apply the chunk parameter?

20200730135907.png

Since you reference ffmpeg, I think you will find the guidance you seek in this old post ...

There seems to be AAC audio in the file, as far as I can tell from your screenshots above. I don't think WO supports that format (at least it didn't when I was involved). Perhaps that causes some trouble durig playback.

You may want to remove the audio track from the file, to see if it plays OK without it. If so, add it back as a separate WAV file with its own cue for playing it, rather than embedding it into the video.

Mike

Thanks for everybody's help. But it still the same.

On 7/30/2020 at 5:49 PM, RBeddig said:

Just out of curiosity, which graphic card driver are you using?

The Graphic card driver is from AMD official website, version 19.Q4.1, my windows 10 version 1909.

I tried with repair tools to repair the software, get rid of the other decoder software, and also tried to get rid of the audio stream in the video, also use -chunk 8 to recreate the new hap mov file, but still the same.

I also tried to convert video to H.264 mp4 format by using the commend line like:

ffmpeg.exe -i input.mp4 -c:v libx264 -preset slow -tune fastdecode -profile:v baseline -g 30 -bf 0 -b:v 25M -y output.mp4

The only thing is, I tried to use my friend's laptop Thinkpad P53 workstation as the server, and just installed the software, start program, then use my laptop send the video to it,  it plays very well with H.264 mp4 file, have no idea what 's the problem.

• Dataton Partner

I assume that the 2019 driver still has the same issues as all the drivers since 2018Q1.

Maybe you can try the 2017q4.1 driver which is actually the same Dataton uses on their servers.

I hope that this link still works:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-17-q4-1

Thank you very much, this driver works very well. 

21 hours ago, RBeddig said:

I assume that the 2019 driver still has the same issues as all the drivers since 2018Q1.

Maybe you can try the 2017q4.1 driver which is actually the same Dataton uses on their servers.

I hope that this link still works:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-17-q4-1