How to create a reverse mask in WO 7

mindopera

I am trying to understand how to reverse a mask in WO 7 using the masking tool.  I have a project with a projection screen with a curved edge.  How do I reverse the mask on the first mask so that it will mask like the second image?

This is the masking in WO

image.thumb.png.834c5b3ff860d2f397042aee2cec215d.png

Below is the mask I want to use.

image.thumb.png.0a6926d9358df28acadfb80389f391f9.png

6 minutes ago, Josef Swanberg said:

Please share a bit more information. What does the mask itself look like? is it a luma or alpha mask? Are you using the display mask feature, or the more dynamic layer key/fill feature?

The mask would look like the image at the bottom where the circle is transparent and the outside is black.  I'm attempting to use the display mask feature to create the mask so I would have more flexibility manipulating points.  In WO6 i would bring the mask in as an asset with a transparency and manipulate it using corners to get it to fit the screen then put it in a timeline that would always be on.

I know there are many ways to mask in WO but in WO7 corners are no longer available for presise adjustments. 

Just to reiterate, I am not masking an asset I am masking a display.

• Dataton Partner
42 minutes ago, mindopera said:

The mask would look like the image at the bottom where the circle is transparent and the outside is black.  I'm attempting to use the display mask feature to create the mask so I would have more flexibility manipulating points.  In WO6 i would bring the mask in as an asset with a transparency and manipulate it using corners to get it to fit the screen then put it in a timeline that would always be on.

I know there are many ways to mask in WO but in WO7 corners are no longer available for presise adjustments. 

Just to reiterate, I am not masking an asset I am masking a display.

You have to create a mask with the size of the screen in photoshop and blackout everything you want to mask away and keep the screen you want to show transparant. Drag the png in the display mask editor. It won't appear in the mask surfaces list. To adjust, you have to edit the mask in photoshop.  To edit "live" you have to enable "automatically update assets", overwrite an adjusted mask and the result will appear automatically on your output.   Not the most easy way, but it works... unfortunately can't make minor tweaks in the mask editor this way.

One workaround I would to use a Virtual Display, put the mask in the VD and use it as Key in the Key and Fill and then Warp the VD but with 7.4.1 it's not working the Warping in the Virtual Display, but it did in older versions.

Quim

15 hours ago, Morgan Wong said:

no one click function for this.

but work around will be move the point (and handle) to the other side can do the trick.

image.thumb.png.806699b6261516bfef4ed4d040db7c2a.pngimage.thumb.png.1cc1f7743951ba4382af10c3186019f7.png

I guess I was looking for an easy way to do it. You seem to be skilled at manipulating masks, so I will need to practice.

8 hours ago, mindopera said:

I guess I was looking for an easy way to do it. You seem to be skilled at manipulating masks, so I will need to practice.

image.thumb.png.a90863055c608e906ef821a196e9f926.png

Practice makes better (nothing can be perfect anyway :) )

actually it is easy for above example:

double click on the mask, select 2 points and move, plus adjust the handle for another 2 points.

On 10/9/2024 at 10:29 AM, Walter said:

You have to create a mask with the size of the screen in photoshop and blackout everything you want to mask away and keep the screen you want to show transparant. Drag the png in the display mask editor. It won't appear in the mask surfaces list. To adjust, you have to edit the mask in photoshop.  To edit "live" you have to enable "automatically update assets", overwrite an adjusted mask and the result will appear automatically on your output.   Not the most easy way, but it works... unfortunately can't make minor tweaks in the mask editor this way.

What should the file format be?
We are trying to do it as it was in WO6 but it is not working!
I believe the function is still not working properly atm.

We are using Watchout 7.4.1 and we need to make a special camera shape with the feature that was previously available

• Dataton Partner
9 hours ago, Zlati said:

What should the file format be?
We are trying to do it as it was in WO6 but it is not working!
I believe the function is still not working properly atm.

We are using Watchout 7.4.1 and we need to make a special camera shape with the feature that was previously available

I just used png, but psd might have also worked. I can check later. It actually works quite good. (7.4.1). 

On 10/9/2024 at 9:56 AM, Quim said:

One workaround I would to use a Virtual Display, put the mask in the VD and use it as Key in the Key and Fill and then Warp the VD but with 7.4.1 it's not working the Warping in the Virtual Display, but it did in older versions.

Quim

I'm sorry, it works. It does on the runner but not in the Stage window.

Quim