Simple Wireless Remote to Control Display Cluster

Steve Farris

I am working on an installation that will require a simple remote to control a display cluster.  Basically, I need to send a "run" command by pushing a button on a wireless remote.

The way I would do this on the production machine is to use something like a PerfectCue to send a keyboard command to the computer.  However, keyboard commands don't seem to do anything to a Display machine.

Is anyone aware of a simple device that can operate similar to a wireless remote that will then send a tcp/ip command to the display cluster?  At first, it seemed like an easy concept but I'm at a loss trying to figure out how to do this.  Worst case is I just include a production computer in the system, but this is a long term installation and there is no need once my programming is finished.

Using an iPad or similar won't work because of the IT security restrictions on creating a WiFi hotspot or using the existing WiFi.

Steve

You should be able to run the WATCHOUT remote (free download) from a desktop computer as well, although it may look a bit out of place.

http://www.dataton.com/files/watchout/remote/

More details in this PDF:

http://www.dataton.com/assets/WATCHOUT-remote_app_info.pdf

Alternatively, WATCHNET can do this as well.

Hope this helps.

Mike – http://fahl.se/

Thanks for the suggestions.  Using a computer or other device on a wire doesn't really solve the problem.  I need a small, simple device someone can carry that has a button to trigger a run.  Quim's idea is more what I'm looking for, but I'm really wanting to just trigger a run over tcp/ip.  In the past I have done this with a bunch of Crestron gear, but it's a lot of hardware and complicated setup to do what seems simple on the surface.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Using a computer or other device on a wire doesn't really solve the problem.  I need a small, simple device someone can carry that has a button to trigger a run.  ...

An iPhone, iPod Touch or similar device running a

WATCHNET panel with just the one button would be easy enough.

Your incremental cost is 0, as you can not use WATCHOUT Production and WATCHNET

on the same cluster at the same time (either/or).

WATCHNET uses a standard WATCHOUT License

(the web site may lead you to believe it is a different license - it is NOT.)

So quit WATCHOUT Production when you are done with changes - releasing the license key,

open WATCHNET, using the same license, to serve your simple remote.

Could not be much easier. iono.gif

Thanks Jim.  Unfortunately, I am not able to set up a WiFi hotspot and I'm trying to figure something out that doesn't use a cable.  I was also hoping to get rid of the production computer once the show is programmed.  If I keep the computer, I can just use my existing PerfectCue to control the Production computer.

Can I have Watchnet "listen" to a keyboard command coming from the PerfectCue?

steve

If I may say so, one of the weaknesses of Watchout is a feature to allow the use of a simple 'Powerpoint' like remote to start/pause the timeline, aka spacebar toggle. That would have solved your problem. [so perhaps an addition to the Wishlist' is an 'enable Remote' option in Preferences for a Powerpoint-like remote controller].

As it is, your choices are either programmable Bluetooth remotes or wireless RS-232. Think you will require to speak to an electronics engineer who should be able to build a transmitter and receiver for this.

One other alternative is to ask at the Show Control Yahoo Forum -

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Show-Control/info

Someone there may already have a pre-built solution.

Thomas Leong

Thanks Jim.  Unfortunately, I am not able to set up a WiFi hotspot and I'm trying to figure something out that doesn't use a cable.  I was also hoping to get rid of the production computer once the show is programmed.  If I keep the computer, I can just use my existing PerfectCue to control the Production computer.

Can I have Watchnet "listen" to a keyboard command coming from the PerfectCue?

steve

No, there is no inputs to WATCHNET other than the panels.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Farris inspired me to put some VB.net code together, so I come up with this small app.

It connects to the display cluster and sends Display Cluster Protocol commands when "T" or "Y" key is pressed.

Command and Timeline name can be set in the text box.

I think all is self explanatory.

Feel free to use, hope it works fine :)

...works here

File @

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i5ufff1q226nlhc/AADo0EOyJtdxR0Sf_JhMFDDsa?dl=0

Key_to_WO.jpg

Perfect cue is the professional choice but quite expensive.

Alternative: http://www.amazon.com/PresenterCard-PCRF-01-Turning-ResponseCard-Classroom/dp/B00M6E756U

The PresenterCard is powerpoint present with 3 additional, free programmable buttons.

Another possibility is to use your mobile (or pad) with touchosc: http://hexler.net/software/touchoscavailable for ios and android.

/Tom 

Seems like the PresenterCard requires some expensive extras for it to work...

System Requirements

The following requirements are necessary for PresenterCard to properly function:

One of the following receivers:

- RRRF-02 receiver - 4.6 firmware or higher

- RRRF-03 receiver - 2.7 firmware or higher

- RRRF-04 receiver - 2.7 firmware or higher

;)

/jonas

Ok, i surrender .... ;)

I dont need any, most times I use touchosc.

I just wanted to help giving hints for alternatives.

And the alternative I gave (PresenterCard) is only $ 80, that is worth to mention  :D

Seems like the PresenterCard requires some expensive extras for it to work...

System Requirements

The following requirements are necessary for PresenterCard to properly function:

One of the following receivers:

- RRRF-02 receiver - 4.6 firmware or higher

- RRRF-03 receiver - 2.7 firmware or higher

- RRRF-04 receiver - 2.7 firmware or higher

;)

/jonas

Yes, I was wondering about the receiver.

The picutre of the transmitter appears to have a second device that might be a receiver,

but it is just a front and rear view of the transmitter.

$350 for the receiver + the $80 transmitter kinda of invalidates that  TomT  ;)

As I said; I surrender  ;)

Yes Jonas you are right, it seemed the transmitter needs a receiver.

I just saw a college controlling a presentation.with presenter card.

I havn´t seen a receiver so I thought its working via bluetooth or Wifi.....

@ jfk 

yes thats true, 350 and 80 invalidates my argument.... if you don´t need more than three buttons  :D

/Tom