Controlling DMX lighting by WO

ademarlocks

Is there a way to use the Enttec box with a DMX/ ARTNET style command to get Watchout to Play. pause. Stop etc?

i'm tentatively learning WO6's new features and just wondered if the black art of controlling playback via DMX lighting desk has simplified/improved since I last attempted it 2 years ago. I have the Enttec Ethernet to DMX unit (still boxed) but didn't have any success... alas too complex for mer!!! 

By WO playing timecode out and Qlab listening and then Qlab controlling the lighting desk was far easier solution to run a huge lighting rig at an large exhibition. Needless to say I had an easy job as WO playing Timecode was far simpler than setting up Qlab and the lighting desk. Sadly this isn't possible this time as WO is going on a live gig tour and as we are just playing back video clips  i felt it was time to dust off the ENTTEC box and try again...

As always any advice much appreciated,

Many thanks,

David 

You can certainly use DMX to trigger things in WATCHOUT from a console. Bring in a couple of channels and set up the triggering conditions in the Task window. You can also use DMX to modulate tween tracks in WATCHOUT. 

Alternatively, if your console supports MSC (MIDI Show Control), you can output MSC from the console to trigger timelines in WATCHOUT.

Thanks MIke,

But can you explain further.. "trigger things in WATCHOUT from a console."  I presume console = A lighting desk of some merit?

re "Bring in a couple of channels and set up the triggering conditions in the Task window". If you've a page reference in the manual i'll re read the manuals.

Finally re "You can also use DMX to modulate tween tracks in WATCHOUT."    again and sorry to be so slow here... how?

Your help is much appreciated

Regards

David. 

Mike must be away. I'm no lighting or dmx expert but I'll try to answer your questions, David.

1. Yes, 'console' would be lighting desk, or software-based lighting controller that is artnet capable.

2. For Inputs, triggering Aux Timelines, etc, please refer WO6 Manual Pg 148-150.

Not detailed is the triggering condition' and the use of an expression in the trigger.

For example, assuming 'run' is the name of your DMX channel to run a timeline (without the quote marks), click on 'Trigger' column of an Aux Timeline in Task Window, and type 'run > 0.3' (without the quote marks). Then try moving the 'run' DMX in your input window, or if you are hooked up to a lighting console, the fader/dmx channel assigned to the 'run' dmx input. The Aux Timeline will not run until the dmx input trigger 'run' is greater than 0.3 (about 30% of full value).

3. Similarly, you can assign dmx inputs/values to Tween tracks such as Position, Scale, or Opacity.

Example: TweenValue * o

where o is the name of a dmx input you have defined in the Input window.

With this, you can then fade in/out using a defined dmx fader from your physical or software-based lighting console.

Hope that all makes sense,

Thomas

But can you explain further.. "trigger things in WATCHOUT from a console."  I presume console = A lighting desk of some merit?

Right. I was under the impression you wanted to integrate WATCHOUT with lighting, and MSC is a way to do so if you run lighting from a console that supports that standard.

re "Bring in a couple of channels and set up the triggering conditions in the Task window". If you've a page reference in the manual i'll re read the manuals.

See under "DMX-512 input" and "Triggering Tasks" here:

http://academy.dataton.com/wo6/index.html

Finally re "You can also use DMX to modulate tween tracks in WATCHOUT."    again and sorry to be so slow here... how?

See the sction titled "CONTROLLING TWEEN TRACKS" in that same chapter.

You can certainly use DMX to trigger things in WATCHOUT from a console. Bring in a couple of channels and set up the triggering conditions in the Task window. You can also use DMX to modulate tween tracks in WATCHOUT.

I'm trying to use DMX to modulate tween tracks from an ETC Ion using Artnet. Do I need a separate DMX to Artnet converter to go into the Watchout system, or can the Watchout system receive Artnet through a shared network between Lighting and Watchout?

I'm trying to use DMX to modulate tween tracks from an ETC Ion using Artnet. Do I need a separate DMX to Artnet converter to go into the Watchout system, or can the Watchout system receive Artnet through a shared network between Lighting and Watchout?

That should work, assuming they're on the same subnet. Some Artnet devices are picky here, but I think most modern interfaces can be used on any subnet.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure what I am missing here. You do not capture anything.

Go to the Window menu, select Output, create a new output for TCP/IP. 

Define the IP address and port number you used in puTTY.

Drag the listing from the output window to a timeline to create a string cue.

Open that cue and type in the string you used in puTTY.

Note, un-typable character and hex values must be entered as a dollar sign and two hex digits.

For example, a carriage return is typed as   $0D

Well, the thing is that Martin M1 console can be controlled only via telnet connection... I think the string output from WO is a raw TCP/IP.

Simple using of a string output is not working and I'm sure how to do it since I've tested with projector control.

Unfortunately M1 is not the best of Martin... lack of MSC, lack of real remote... only a limited number of telnet commands

the process with MA2 is really easy:

- Open Telnet listener in the console

- Open Telnet Client from Production PC

- Type: open (ip Number) (port Number)

- You should be inside the MA2 command prompt

if you type: help

you should be able to see the complete list of command you can send to the console

-Open Watchout

-as JFK says:

Go to the Window menu, select Output, create a new output for TCP/IP. 

Define the IP address and port number you used in puTTY.

- Once the output cue is in a timeline,

double click on it and type the command you need to send followed by $0D

-done

• 2 weeks later...