WATCHOUT in Windows 10

Miro

At the moment WATCHOUT doesn't work in Windows 10. We are working on a solution and will release an update as soon as possible. This issue has our highest priority and we expect to have a solution in March-April. Until then we recommend Windows 7 Professional. We apologize for any inconvenience!

Best regards,

Miroslav Andel

Chief Software Developer

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of asking a really dumb question, what are the benefits of running Windows 10 for Watchout 6 over Windows 7

Professional?

Obviously W7Pro will go end of life at some point.

There are no benefits to running Windows 10 - all down side, no upside.

As for Windows 7 Pro going end of life,

Microsoft won't end security updates for your Windows 7 PC until Jan. 14, 2020.

• 4 weeks later...

The Win10 problem seems confined to the display software.

I'm not aware of any "media drag&drop" problem. Do you mean that dragging media files into WATCHOUT from Windows Explorer doesn't work for you under Win10? Does it work for you under other Windows version? 

I have my Production computer with Windows 10 and I can't set up the audio outputs, I can see on the menu the sound devices but I can't select it. Tried with WO 6.0.1 and WO 6.0.2. I would like to know if it's something related to WO 6 and W10 or something I have wrong on my system. With other computer with W7 works fine.

• 4 weeks later...

WATCHOUT Production will run on Win 10 with some minor annoyances.

WATCHOUT Display is not yet ready for Windows 10.

Selecting an OS for a display computer is different set of concerns than production.

I can't buy win 8.1 anymore because win 8.1 discontinued now.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-to-discontinue-windows-7-8-1-on-new-pcs-in-one-year/

That is not exactly true.

Seems Microsoft practically runs PR campaigns

to convince people they must switch to the latest version. The press are their lackeys.

The reality is Microsoft's largest and most important clients do not evolve that fast,

and Microsoft does not abandon them. i.e.

Microsoft continues to make Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8.1 Pro

available to PC builders.

While there is no feature enhancement in older Windows versions,

security is maintained for four more years on Windows 7.

Not that security updates are needed -

point is the older OS versions

are not as "dead" as you make them sound.

When purchasing Windows 10, be sure to purchase the Pro version.

Microsoft provides downgrade rights for either Windows 8 Pro or Windows 10 Pro.

i.e. purchase Win 10 Pro and you can install Win 7 Professional under the Win 10 Pro license.

As it relates to WATCHOUT Display, part of the process of

evolving a generic PC into a reliable dedicated WATCHOUT appliance

involves reformatting the disc drives and installing the OS from scratch.

Switching OS versions at that time should not be any signifiant issue.

or you could skip all that hassle and choose a Dataton WATCHMAX -

Windows 7 Professional, all  the tuning is completed and archived, and Dataton support   ;)

I have my Production computer with Windows 10 and I can't set up the audio outputs, I can see on the menu the sound devices but I can't select it. Tried with WO 6.0.1 and WO 6.0.2. I would like to know if it's something related to WO 6 and W10 or something I have wrong on my system. With other computer with W7 works fine.

Hi all, 

same problem on my production-notebook with win10: If I play a wav-file I get a direct show error that pops up in watchout. In preferences I can choose the audio-device, but it always switches back to "no device". Funny thing is that mp4-videos with sound play ok and I can hear the sound. It just seems to be the wav-files that do not work. I tried a reinstall of the audio-driver and also of Watchout, no change. 

Other than that I have a feeling that WO-production runs more stable since I upgraded the computer to Windows 10. No luck with Wo-display, that definatly does not work on win10. 

Regards, 

Michael. 

Hi all, 

same problem on my production-notebook with win10: If I play a wav-file I get a direct show error that pops up in watchout. In preferences I can choose the audio-device, but it always switches back to "no device". Funny thing is that mp4-videos with sound play ok and I can hear the sound. It just seems to be the wav-files that do not work. I tried a reinstall of the audio-driver and also of Watchout, no change. 

Other than that I have a feeling that WO-production runs more stable since I upgraded the computer to Windows 10. No luck with Wo-display, that definatly does not work on win10. 

Regards, 

Michael. 

Yes Michael,

That's what is happening to me. I worked fine with W8.1 but not with W10.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, 

Regards, 

Michael. 

I have exactly the same problem. Now converting audiofiles (wav, aif, mp3) into movs.

Regards, Danny

• 3 weeks later...

I have WO6.0.2 on my MacBook via Parallels, I upgraded to W10 a while ago now and for the production so far it has been stable (ish) and i'm generally impressed.

However I have just downloaded the update to WO6.1.1 W10 will not let me install the update (not even in compatible mode) what can I do.

I wish I had seen this forum before I let W10 install itself. Gutted! Please help Dataton when will the W10 update happen I need it.

ChrisBingWO, is it windows that doesn't let you install or what error do you get? Running windows 10 native on a system is very different from running it virualized. I'm using W10 for production all the time on all of my computers and I don't have this problem.

If it's a certificate issue (windows sercurity) than you should have the option to install it anyway. If you for any reason don't have this option you can always bypass the windows security by opening the terminal as admin and run the installer from the terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, is there some upgrade regarding compatibility of WO6 with WIN10?

Thanks for your support.

The issue is a bug in Windows 10 multi-ouptut DirectX 3D full screen rendering.

WATCHOUT can not overcome the flaw in Windows 10.

Microsoft has acknowledged this bug is confirmed and will be fixing it in the future.

As to when that future is going to happen, your guess is as good as ours.

As is often the case with Microsoft's operating systems,

it is not until the first major revision that they get it right.

Exact same thing happened in Windows 8, which is not compatible with WATCHOUT either.

They cleaned up the problems in Windows 8.1, which can be made to work with WATCHOUT.

Although Windows 7 is still preferable.

Windows 8.1 has no improvement from a WATCHOUT perspective,

and has plenty of additional things you do not want and must tune out.

The issue is a bug in Windows 10 multi-ouptut DirectX 3D full screen rendering.

WATCHOUT can not overcome the flaw in Windows 10.

Microsoft has acknowledged this bug is confirmed and will be fixing it in the future.

As to when that future is going to happen, your guess is as good as ours.

As is often the case with Microsoft's operating systems,

it is not until the first major revision that they get it right.

Exact same thing happened in Windows 8, which is not compatible with WATCHOUT either.

They cleaned up the problems in Windows 8.1, which can be made to work with WATCHOUT.

Although Windows 7 is still preferable.

Windows 8.1 has no improvement from a WATCHOUT perspective,

and has plenty of additional things you do not want and must tune out.

Thank you for your fast reply!

If I understood we should wait the "Windows 10 anniversary update" that should came up at the end of June / beginning of July.. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Tnx

Thank you for your fast reply!

If I understood we should wait the "Windows 10 anniversary update" that should came up at the end of June / beginning of July.. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Tnx

Well yes, but then once that is officially released,

the work can begin on WATCHOUT to correct anything that may crop up.

At the least, a few weeks would be needed for reasonable testing, etc.

So once Microsoft gets its act together,

you may still need to wait for the next iteration of WATCHOUT to be released.

• 1 month later...

Watchout 6.1.2 Display 'under' Windows 10 seems to work now...with the proviso that Watchpoint works only in Windows 7/8 Compatibility mode, not otherwise. [Edit: only on 1 monitor output! See Edit 2 below]

So far tested with only one Display monitor out (using my laptop which is the only unit I have with Windows 10 - upgraded by Microsoft from Windows 8.1 months ago). Tested multiple layers in the Main Timeline, Aux Timelines, Live Video (webcam), and some Tweens - Scale, Volume, Position. All work now without problems. Was not so a couple of months ago when I tried Compatibility mode, which resulted in inconsistent network connection with the Production PC. This time, seems solid when I Ctrl+Q out of Display, and relaunch Watchpoint again repeatedly. No problems surfaced. Don't know what Microsoft has updated since, but seems to work well so far.

Your mileage might vary,

Thomas Leong

Edit 1: As my tests were only to a single display, if someone has Win 10 in a multi-display capable pc, perhaps he could report back the results before Microsoft's free upgrade to Win 10 expires.

Edit 2: Unsuccessful test 36 hours later with 2 outputs from my Win 10 laptop - via HDMI out for the 2nd output. Watchpoint 6.1.2 and 5.5.2 would not start up...oft times went into a loop trying to start. It is like back to Watchout v4 but using v6!! No joy.

• 2 weeks later...

We have tested multiple outputs with success using a preview of the anniversary update which should be released the 2nd of August. Although this is great news we still need to conduct thorough tests before we can recommend users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Yes, I updated 2 nights ago, but Win 10 v1607 still does not seem to work as a multi-output Watchout Display PC!...for me anyway.

Tested only with my i5 Lenovo laptop (therefore only 2 outputs: laptop display + HDMI out). WO 6.1.2.

Selecting the nVidia gfx card (840M, latest driver updated), works only in Clone mode, not in Extended mode.

Selecting the onboard Intel 4400 gfx, Watchout works in Extended Mode! That's not bad I suppose since the laptop i5 can play out 2 x 1920x1080 without a problem with the Intel 4400 gfx.

A Desktop may be different, but I do not have Win 10 on mine. Hopefully someone else can report on this.

Thomas Leong