Feature Request ? Post here

Dimi

On 9/19/2022 at 4:10 AM, artboy said:

Hi Jfk.

I've been waiting for version 7 for a very long time.

Do you know why the development is delayed?

DATATON seems reluctant to talk about this.

I like WATCHOUT but now I think I should consider another media server.

I wish I could provide a specific response. I am not at liberty to do so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Ali Serdar Gulseren said:

To request from local Dataton partner. It would be nice to have a web page where we can follow the latest update image (ISO-file) versions of all WATCHPAX.

This is not an official Dataton web page, it is one i maintain personally for that purpose.

http://www.dataton.net/watchpax/watchpax-image-wo_ver.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ability to customize Keyboard Shortcuts.

Ability to ignore all cues except on a specified layer. "Right Arrow next cue on Layer X only"

MIDI or OSC input to trigger next cue on specific layer:

MIDI: :"C1 -> layer10/nextCue"

OSC osc/watchout/layer10/nextCue -> watchout/layer10/nextCue"

On 11/1/2022 at 4:34 PM, Fucci said:

Ability to ignore all cues except on a specified layer. "Right Arrow next cue on Layer X only"

I believe right/left arrow keys should jump to next/previous cue on the currently selected layer only. 

MIDI or OSC input to trigger next cue on specific layer

Set any desired MIDI note as the trigger for the timeline. Then use a Control cue set to Pause to stop where desired.

Mike

On 11/2/2022 at 5:26 PM, Mike Fahl said:

I believe right/left arrow keys should jump to next/previous cue on the currently selected layer only. 

Indeed it does.  which is why I asked about 

On 11/1/2022 at 11:34 AM, Fucci said:

Ability to customize Keyboard Shortcuts.

On 11/2/2022 at 5:26 PM, Mike Fahl said:

Set any desired MIDI note as the trigger for the timeline. Then use a Control cue set to Pause to stop where desired.

how does that get me a "next cue" trigger instead of a "specific cue" trigger?

56 minutes ago, Alex Ramos said:

Geometry correction and masking windows should be much bigger for better and precise control. This is a must.

Are not these windows resizable? Or are you requesting variable magnification?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 8:22 PM, Fucci said:

how does that get me a "next cue" trigger instead of a "specific cue" trigger?

By using a MIDI note as a trigger for the timeline, you'll trigger the "next cue" by pressing that note, rather than a specific cue. The timeline will then run up to the next deliberate "pause" control cue.

Mike

On 11/27/2022 at 2:03 PM, Mike Fahl said:

By using a MIDI note as a trigger for the timeline, you'll trigger the "next cue" by pressing that note, rather than a specific cue. The timeline will then run up to the next deliberate "pause" control cue.

Mike

That would seem to make sense but I haven't seen where I can program a single midi note to "advance to the next cue on layer "" ." based off the current timeline position. (unless there's a tween formula that can listen for a midi note and then advance to next cue)

I have seen where I can use a midi note to trigger a specific cue, which is not what I'm asking about.  

what I'm asking about is the functionality of pressing the right arrow key, but only on a pre determined layer of my choosing, regardless of what layer is selected on the timeline.  I don't care if its a tcp/midi/osc/or keyboard trigger.

my only work around at the moment is if I have all my play/pause cues on layer 10 and have no more layers than 10, making a keyboard macro that presses the up arrow 9 times then the right arrow once.  so that no matter what I was doing on whatever layer, I know that keyboard press will go to the next cue on layer 10.

4 hours ago, Fucci said:

That would seem to make sense but I haven't seen where I can program a single midi note to "advance to the next cue on layer "" ." based off the current timeline position.

what I'm asking about is the functionality of pressing the right arrow key, but only on a pre determined layer of my choosing, regardless of what layer is selected on the timeline. 

For your first question above, this should happen by just using the MIDI Note input as a trigger for the auxiliary timeline. When this is pressed, it makes the timeline Run. For your second question, you would have to program an explicit Pause control cue where you want the timeline to stop. Hence, this does not rely on the currently selected layer.

Mike

7 hours ago, Mike Fahl said:

For your first question above, this should happen by just using the MIDI Note input as a trigger for the auxiliary timeline. When this is pressed, it makes the timeline Run. For your second question, you would have to program an explicit Pause control cue where you want the timeline to stop. Hence, this does not rely on the currently selected layer.

Mike

I never mentioned anything about auxiliary timelines or pause cues.  So the above are solutions to questions I have not  asked about.

On 12/7/2022 at 10:55 AM, jfk said:

You seem to be requesting a very specific method to achieve a goal that is currently available using a different method. 

hmm.  Ok, how can one have 1 keyboard command or 1 midi note trigger to advance to the next cue on a specific layer in the main timeline regardless of the selected layer?

To simplify, I want (the functionality of) right arrow but on a specific pre-determined layer only.

On 12/9/2022 at 6:50 PM, Fucci said:

hmm.  Ok, how can one have 1 keyboard command or 1 midi note trigger to advance to the next cue on a specific layer in the main timeline regardless of the selected layer?

To simplify, I want (the functionality of) right arrow but on a specific pre-determined layer only.

You can „lock“ the layers that contain cues you want to omit. This way „arrow right/Next“ key hits the one you want. But of course you would have to prepare this. 

On 12/9/2022 at 6:50 PM, Fucci said:

Ok, how can one have 1 keyboard command or 1 midi note trigger to advance to the next cue on a specific layer in the main timeline regardless of the selected layer?

Hi, I don't think you can do this in the way that you hope, because it seems to me that it involves mixing two methods of navigating the timeline - selecting layers in the UI and sending midi commands. Normally if you're using external control - whether it's midi or network commands - you aren't using the UI.

So, I can think of two workarounds for selecting another layer in the timeline. One might be to use something like AutoHotKey to send the cursor commands to select another layer, but that would be extremely fragile and I don't think I would go that route. An alternative could be to use the keyboard Function keys F1-F15 (or whatever your keyboard stretches to). If you have a cue named 'F1', pushing the F1 function key on the keyboard will jump to that point in the timeline _and_ select the layer on which the F1 cue is located. From there, midi commands to play to the next cue would work as normal. Still a bit fragile, but should work.

It's not easy to suggest a better solution because it's stil not entirely clear to me that your use-case is. If you need to be able to dynamically ignore pause cues on some layers, you could look at Conditional Layers, which would allow you to - for example - ignore pause cues on layer 2 while still respecting those on layers 1 and 3. This works in a similar way to @Weisemann's suggestion about locking layers, but Conditional Layers can be switched live with network commands.

So I guess the goal here is to achieve “jump next”. Seem to be fixated on accomplishing this by jumping between cues on a specified layer. WATCHOUT does not have a built in function to do this remotely, but the tools to build such a function exist.

Anyway. What I have done in the past to achieve a functional similar result is use a control cue as a marker with a reserved name. For simplicity, I reserve the letter Q for this purpose. i.e. control cues whose name are “Q” are my jump markers. Doesn’t matter if they are pauses, run, etc, doesn’t matter what layer they are on although I do collect them on a single layer - if a control Cue is named Q it is a valid jump target. From there, the IP command gotoControlCue can be used to accomplish both jump forward or jump reverse. If MIDI is to be the trigger, I would trigger an auxiliary timeline to send the IP command to localhost. (And since I am a staunch believer in performing in cluster mode, I design aux timelines for both production mode [port 3040] and cluster mode [port 3039] and switch between them with a generic input). This technique provides the equivalent function of left or right arrow jumps. Basically forward or reverse to an arbitrary target that allows me to simply and clearly define what I consider to be a “Cue”. While working from the keyboard <Ctrl-F><Q><Enter> jumps forward. The Find command remembers the previous entries, so after the first time it is just <Ctrl-F><Enter>.

It would be helpful to add a visual indicator to video cues in the UI to show the duration and loop points.

I saw this implemented in other software and it's quite handy. When you extend the duration of a video media cue in the timeline, a small dotted vertical line is added across the cue at the end of the normal duration, so you can see where the video has finished playing. If the loop option is active, then the line is added at each loop point. So if you have looped a 20 second video and extended the cue duration to 60 seconds, there will be a little dotted line at 20 & 40 seconds. Where this is really useful though is when the original video duration is something like 16.35 seconds and the client wants it to play back at 85% of normal speed - I can see where playback ends and loops without reaching for my calculator !

Hello. It would be very nice if the Folder spin-down triangle would change color if/when you are running a timeline that lives in that folder.

White = nothing in that folder is active.

Red = something in that folder is active.

I find myself having to jump around folders during rehearsals and I spend a lot of time trying to figure out which Aux Timelines are still running because they're hidden inside a spun-up folder.

Folders are awesome! Makes my life SOOO much easier - except for this one thing!

(it is always possible there is already a way to know, and I've just missed it...)

Thanks!

• jfk changed the title to Feature Request ? Post here