Feature Request ? Post here

Dimi

On 4/18/2019 at 5:47 PM, cowboyclint said:

Hi All,

Having gotten used to After Effects time jumping methods, I sure would love to have Watchout do the same thing.

In AE, I type minutes(decimal)seconds(decimal)frames. 01.01.10 and I go to 1 minute 1 second 10 frames.

If I could do the same thing in WO then I would never have to take my hand off the number pad after I type CNTRL J.

I know it wouldn't be frames, that's fine, I just don't want to move my hand to hit Shift ; all the time.

Please and Thank you.

Not sure how long this has been the case, but for a while now, you can type numbers only, leaving out the ":" and watchout will insert the colons.  So, <ctrl>-J | 0510.00 - will jump you to 5:10.00

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/1/2019 at 4:05 PM, matkeane said:

Hi Mike,

The problem I have encountered with compositions is that (sometimes) when media cues within a composition use a blend mode other than normal, the cues 'pop' on and off instead of fading smoothly

I would consider that a bug, to be dealt with separately. The method I suggest is the only one possible today, AFAIK. Although one could of course wish for a simpler method of doing this,

Mike

• 2 months later...
Recent forum posts about slow network transfers when dealing with large media files reminded me of this...

The ability to constrain which media gets pushed to which displays in Live Update mode would be useful in some cases. On the last couple of projects, I had two distinct sets of displays, with media created specifically for each area - content for the front screen will never be displayed on the back, and vice-versa. When I activate Live Update, so that I can tweak some effects in real-time, all media is pushed to all servers - resulting in a long wait while several hundred Gb of files is transferred to players which will never use that content. The only workaround seems to be to temporarily deactivate displays, but then the client only gets to see half the content update live, so it’s not really a solution in most cases.

Other media server software seems to manage this problem with named servers and string matching with media filenames so that, for example, a media file named ‘my_file_front.mov’ won’t be transferred to a server named ‘back’. It seems a bit of a clunky solution, but it does work. I wonder whether, in Watchout, it would be possible to exclude certain folders in the media window from selected stage Tiers… That way I could put all media files destined for the front screens in one folder, right click to bring up options for that folder, and select only the ‘front’ Tier to ensure media was never pushed to displays on other stage tiers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/1/2020 at 2:18 PM, kolakolakola said:

Just another request for Notch integration. In the short(er) term, it would be awesome to at least get NotchLC codec support. As we all know, the quality of Hap is starting  to become inadequate by modern standards. 

I have made this request directly to support, might as well add it here publicly.   This needs to be the highest priority need.  HAP does NOT look good.  

• Dataton Partner

Hi Keith,

When you said HAP does not look good, I'm curious, could you tell me which encoder do you use? On a Mac or on a PC?

I agree, HAP is not very color accurate, but to me, if correctly encoded it does the job most of the time.

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards,

BenoiT

1 hour ago, Benoit said:

Hi Keith,

When you said HAP does not look good, I'm curious, could you tell me which encoder do you use? On a Mac or on a PC?

I agree, HAP is not very color accurate, but to me, if correctly encoded it does the job most of the time.

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards,

BenoiT

Hi Benoit,

At this stage I use the Disguise-built AME plugin.  I have used everything in the past, and had multiple topics of conversation with both the HAP developers as well as FFMPEG (which give very poor results).  Hap does a fine job for footage.  But anything that is graphically created with any sort of gradients has banding, often really bad.  I have tested every which way I can think of for better results.  Strange thing is generally for gradients, you get better results with HAP than you do with HAPQ.  https://github.com/Vidvox/hap-qt-codec/issues/16

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, ectoplasmosis said:

Yet another request for NotchLC codec support. 

HAP quality is inadequate for many types of content and ProRes/TGA image sequences are too resource-intensive.

+1

notchlc is also faster to encode and has a 10bit encoding support which I hope will also come in newer versions of watchout

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Dataton Partner
On 3/23/2020 at 7:30 AM, PavelS said:

Hello! 

How much dmx universes I can control via WATCHOUT? 

Thanks! 

It is basically not restricted anymore but you should keep in mind that Artnet (DMX) can fill up a network quite easily. For bigger lighting networks I would always suggest to use a separate network and just triggers from WATCHOUT.

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2020 at 9:09 PM, Ventmedia said:

I'm also going to add the request to integrate Notch blocks directly. Making content in Notch is simply revolutionary after years of rendering. Having the ability to make use of Notch's realtime parameters directly within the media server is the way forward of content creation for live performance.

Yes, this would be awesome! I'm doing most of my content in realtime these days and not rendering huge videos at all. Notch has totally revolutionized my production pipeline by setting me free from having to render looping videos and trying to find ways to transition fluidly from one scene to another. Realtime content production is a big game changer in our industry.

HI everyone!

Thank you so much for taking the time and write to us here, I just wanted to make sure you know that we are reading this thread and of course taking your thoughts and ideas into consideration when developing WATCHOUT and WATCHPAX further. It's very helpful 🙏🏻

I would also like to push for our Help Center, where you can add feature requests as well: https://dataton.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals

Best,
Magnus Broeders
Development Manager

Thanks for letting us know that you're at least reading this thread.

What would be really helpful is some kind of high-level roadmap for Watchout, specifically in relation to the possibility of implementing major features like Notch, which would directly affect current purchasing decisions.

Your competition seem to be much more open with their plans, which inspires confidence and leads to sales.

The ability to snap the position of the corner points of a virtual display outputs to other corner points of other virtual displays, and the ability to select more than one corner point at one time, both of the same virtual display and of another so it stays in a relative position - not unlike Madmapper and Resolume

• 3 weeks later...

In no particular order

1. a revamp of the clunky win98-look of the program. (please keep the dark look)
  2. Ability to NOT automatically make keyframes when doing ‘corner tween’. it gets messy when you want to adjust at different  times in timeline.
  3. talking of tweens. I would really like the area of effects solved in a  more elegant manner.
    You have your timeline, often taking up alot of space. when you want to adjust i.e a color, you need to scroll down, probably adjust the bar-separator so you get a better view. to select another layer, adjust again. its.. clunky.
    Maybe..Right click a layer, get a box with the stack of effects/tweens applied. Select the one you want which appear as an overlay. Not totally unlike in disguise? and then skip the entire below the timeline tweenbar stuff.
  4. More tweens! Better tweens. improved color adjustments. Tritone. Levels. Blur. Echo.
  5. and / or Notch integration.
  6. notchLC codec
  7. Please tell us what you are working on. What you plan to integrate. V7 will arrive in spring21 with these features..
    It would really help your users to plan ahead. invest correctly.
    I for one am seriously considering moving to another media server, partially because of this.
  8. Your own integrated encoder? Many WO users will want to use their own for their systems. Fine, but as an option to optimize files used in your own-build PAX/MAX servers.

On 10/14/2020 at 3:30 PM, Tyskern said:

[...] talking of tweens. I would really like the area of effects solved in a  more elegant manner.
You have your timeline, often taking up alot of space. when you want to adjust i.e a color, you need to scroll down, probably adjust the bar-separator so you get a better view. to select another layer, adjust again. its.. clunky.
Maybe..Right click a layer, get a box with the stack of effects/tweens applied. Select the one you want which appear as an overlay. Not totally unlike in disguise? and then skip the entire below the timeline tweenbar stuff.

I agree that constantly expanding/shrinking layers to access tween properties is a pain. I've long thought that it would be nice if the timeline panel could toggle between cue layout and a curve editor (similar to After Effects), so that we can say a long-overdue goodbye to 'smooth' keyframes. Perhaps being able to toggle the panel between multiple uses - cue layout, curve editor, and a property inspector - would make life easier still (especially if keyboard shortcuts were available). I'm not entirely sure I like the Disguise approach of opening infinite menus until you run out of screen space, but it's better than concertina-ing the timeline all day. 

I have two feature requests. 

1- a way to feather the edge of content as a tween.  This should have falloff settings and potentially the curve for the falloff.

2- a way to add a drop shadow to a piece of content.  I know this can be done in photoshop, but it would be cool if it could be actively tweened for its position relation to the original image, distance, falloff, and opacity.

3- Stroke around content, same options as photoshop would be ideal

4- Inner shadow, again, like photoshop with tweenable parameters.

Sorry if these are posted already.  I tried searching and it came back with a long list I didnt have time to sift through.

jason