Feature Request ? Post here

Dimi

-I would be nice to update without seeing the logo or progress bars on the displays, bonus if we could have a custom image/video loop when updating.

You should be able to do this already using the "-NoLogo" option (see the manual for details). I recall there was a discussion to expose this setting also in the UI, but I don't know if that happened.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watchout logo:

-I would be nice to update without seeing the logo or progress bars on the displays,

that much has been available since v2 -

first made public through this forum (Hide Watchout logo + progress bar while updating show.)

documented in the v6 user guide (Appendix D - command line options - display).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Network video is already available as an input, but I would love to see a Network Stream Encoder available as an output display.  Both Point-to-Point and Multicast.  Perhaps each Stream would have a cost of one display for licensing, i.e. a WO key enabled 6 displays or 5 displays/1 encoder or 6 encoders.  H.264 streaming, especially tuned for low latency, is the way of the future.  The be able to tie in mobile and other wireless devices, as well as push video over networks is very useful to some of us.  

It seems a lot of the pieces are in place already, so with DirectShow and h264 can't be all that difficult to implement?

• 2 weeks later...

A Virtual Display, can have pretty much any size and aspect ratio, within the capabilities of your graphics card. It appears as a Media element (in the Media list). Hence, you can create a cue from it, to which you can then apply corner pinning and other tweens. I believe you can also use geometry correction on a Virtual Display. So I guess what you ask for can already be done, unless I'm missing something.

Mike

I already knew and use the corner pin on the media element. I was more talking about the virtual display itself when you create it, being able to corner pin it directly from the stage would be awesome.

This way you'll have you medial element corner pins matching the real corner of the shape you grabbed, and it would be much easier to map.

The geometry correction on the virtual display might be interesting, bur I don't see that for now.

A More Efficient Search-and-Replace when re-linking files contained in the Media Window

There are times when we either forget, neglect, or do not require to Consolidate a show.

In such cases, when re-linking a show's contents contained in its Media & Timelines to the same contents which have been transferred to another folder/drive, presently this involves a mouse click, click, click and click process for each file. For repetitive stuff such as this, it would be more efficient to point the first file to a drive and/or folder or multiple drives and let the software search for exactly equal filenames and auto-relink for all files therefrom, with a report for any files not found after the process.

For example, I have files named 1.mpg, 2.mpg, 3.mpg...to 8.mpg and others I want to re-link after opening the .watch show in another PC or same PC after moving/re-organizing all files used in the show to another drive or folder. Time would be saved if I could merely point WO to the new drive/folder where the files are now stored, and it updates its file-paths accordingly, automatically. Presently, this has to be done file by file.

Thomas

A More Efficient Search-and-Replace when re-linking files contained in the Media Window

There are times when we either forget, neglect, or do not require to Consolidate a show.

In such cases, when re-linking a show's contents contained in its Media & Timelines to the same contents which have been transferred to another folder/drive, presently this involves a mouse click, click, click and click process for each file. For repetitive stuff such as this, it would be more efficient to point the first file to a drive and/or folder or multiple drives and let the software search for exactly equal filenames and auto-relink for all files therefrom, with a report for any files not found after the process.

It can do that now with the existing search and replace tool.

You just have to manually set up the find string and the replace string,

but you only have to do that once.

Yes it would be nice for the system to perform the string comparison

and generate the two strings for you,

but it not that hard to do as it is now.

A copy/paste feature, where you can paste a copied Task, where you place a mark. When you paste today, it always end up in the top, but if you have 200 Tasks, it's painstaking time consuming if you have to this over and over again. Another suggestion is folders in the Task section.

Best regards Christian

Hi there!

To enhance Watchout's mapping features, it would be great to be able to move corner pins and perspective corrections with the arrows of a keyboard. 6.1.5 please?

Also, being able to grab something different than a simple rectangle with virtual displays could allow easier, crazier, and more precise mappings. For example, if I were to map a triangle, I could create a triangle virtual display and then map its 3 corners with the object with high precision instead of having to tweak 4 corners that aren't linked to anything in real life. Just something to think about.

Cheers!

A copy/paste feature, where you can paste a copied Task, where you place a mark. When you paste today, it always end up in the top, but if you have 200 Tasks, it's painstaking time consuming if you have to this over and over again. Another suggestion is folders in the Task section.

Best regards Christian

I totally agree on the Folder in the Tasks idea!!

With Copy/Paste, how about it pastes to the next line. Simple and clear. No guess work.

Thank you!

Kevin Lawson

• 1 month later...

Here are a few that struck me as I sit here programming:

-Ability to Copy/Paste Text elements in the media window.  When making More than one, I have to manually set the dimensions, Font size, Positioning, etc. every time I create a new Text item.  Couldn't I just Copy/Paste Several copies and change the text of each?

-Ability to delete a Selective Key Twen (Maybe others) by hitting 'delete' key as I can with other Tweens like Opacity, Rotation, etc.

-If I have multiple items on the timeline selected and I want to drag them all to a new position, only the ones intersecting the cursor move together, rather than ALL the selected items.  Even is this were an Alt+Drag, Shift+Drag, etc. I'd be happy. Having 50 clips that play in a sequence and moving each one by hand sucks!

Would be awesome to have a "stop all timelines except last one played" CUE. this would be SO good.

I have a vague memory that you can do this using a Control cue in a Composition set to kill all timelines. It should then kill all EXCEPT the timeline from which the composition is run. I made it deliberately this way to do what you requested (i.e. kill all timelines except "this").

Ability to delete a Selective Key Twen (Maybe others) by hitting 'delete' key as I can with other Tweens like Opacity, Rotation, etc.

You can delete it by de-selecting it through the Tween menu. Same for all tweens.
If I have multiple items on the timeline selected and I want to drag them all to a new position, only the ones intersecting the cursor move together, rather than ALL the selected items.  Even is this were an Alt+Drag, Shift+Drag, etc. I'd be happy. Having 50 clips that play in a sequence and moving each one by hand sucks!

The Move command allows you to spatially move all selected cues (even those NOT intersecting the current time position).

Mike

Hey Mike,

I know I can delete it via the Tween menu, I just love using shortcuts.  It doesn't respond to the 'Delete' key like other tweens do..  

The move command works, and is the next best thing if the distance is too great to nudge in a timeley fashion.  

I am working on jobs with 40, 60, even 100+ outputs and stage windows beyond 20k pixels square.  When doing on the fly changes between takes with the client over your shoulder, every second counts.  Simply two suggestions that would help me be faster.  When nearly every tween has a hotkey, having to mouse up to the menu bar throws me off my groove  B)

Just like having to pay close attention to tween points when copy/pasting tween tracks, doing something that seems intuitive but doesn't behave as I (albeit mistakenly) expect it should, throws me for a loop from time to time :)

This is the request thread, afterall.... 

How about having the VNC server run as a separate program all the time so you can still remote in to a display machine even if WO has crashed or not loaded properly...  :ph34r:  Doable?

• 1 month later...

I have a vague memory that you can do this using a Control cue in a Composition set to kill all timelines. It should then kill all EXCEPT the timeline from which the composition is run. I made it deliberately this way to do what you requested (i.e. kill all timelines except "this").

It seems that it's not possible to insert control cues in a composition

• 4 weeks later...

Dissolve overlapping media items on the same layer

From a live event perspective

Is there way to dissolve two overlapping media items that reside on the same layer? For example, I have a media item on the timeline that runs from 0->30sec and would like to dissolve into another media item over 1sec. If the second media item is placed on the timeline at 29sec, a red bar appears indicating an overlap.

From what I have read and experienced, there is no way to accomplish this without putting the items on different layers and manually creating an opacity tween on each track over the desired timeframe. While I understand there is a significant amount of control gained in doing this manually, it can be time consuming and time isn't always on our side on a live event site. For this reason, PlayBack Pro and similar programs are a great option for simple video playback; however, I'd like to know if there is a workflow - that is relatively simple - for accomplishing this in a hurry.

From a user experience perspective, and perhaps as a feature recommendation, it would be excellent to have the option of treating overlapping media on the same layer in the following ways by right-clicking that red line that shows in the GUI right now:

- CUT (default, current behavior)

- DISSOLVE for the duration of the overlap. This behavior could be indicated with a visual indicator in much the same way as the current indicator, but maybe with the style of NLE's, like Logic or, dare I say, iMovie.

maxresdefault.jpg

Again, doing a manual tween is much more flexible, but having the ability to drop a file and hitting "go" has a tremendous advantage in the corporate event market.

From my time with Watchout so far, I feel like I must be in the minority of users given how many things like this I have been running across. While the corporate event users are probably a small percentage of WO users, perhaps it is because WO is great at so many different things yet doesn't offer a simple way to do simple tasks.

MV,

An "oldie but a goody" ... appreciate the detail in your suggestion  ;)

from page 1 of this thread (Replying to Feature requests? - POST here)  ...

Walter, on 04 May 2012 - 17:45, said:
Default fades for cues would be nice... Beats fiddling with / copying of opacity handles. Or was this already requested? Of course with a general duration setting somewhere.

Dissolve overlapping media items on the same layer

From a live event perspective

Is there way to dissolve two overlapping media items that reside on the same layer? For example, I have a media item on the timeline that runs from 0->30sec and would like to dissolve into another media item over 1sec. If the second media item is placed on the timeline at 29sec, a red bar appears indicating an overlap.

From what I have read and experienced, there is no way to accomplish this without putting the items on different layers and manually creating an opacity tween on each track over the desired timeframe. While I understand there is a significant amount of control gained in doing this manually, it can be time consuming and time isn't always on our side on a live event site. For this reason, PlayBack Pro and similar programs are a great option for simple video playback; however, I'd like to know if there is a workflow - that is relatively simple - for accomplishing this in a hurry.

From a user experience perspective, and perhaps as a feature recommendation, it would be excellent to have the option of treating overlapping media on the same layer in the following ways by right-clicking that red line that shows in the GUI right now:

- CUT (default, current behavior)

- DISSOLVE for the duration of the overlap. This behavior could be indicated with a visual indicator in much the same way as the current indicator, but maybe with the style of NLE's, like Logic or, dare I say, iMovie.

maxresdefault.jpg

Again, doing a manual tween is much more flexible, but having the ability to drop a file and hitting "go" has a tremendous advantage in the corporate event market.

From my time with Watchout so far, I feel like I must be in the minority of users given how many things like this I have been running across. While the corporate event users are probably a small percentage of WO users, perhaps it is because WO is great at so many different things yet doesn't offer a simple way to do simple tasks.

Would love to see the minimum framerate in Show Preferences dropped to 23.976...

How about we NEVER see this frame rate? This is OLD, BAD Marketing crap to sell cameras that didn't have the memory to record actual 60 fps video. Didn't Peter Jackson, (amongst others,) prove that HFR is highly preferable to low frame rate?

25 fps, OK to deal with old PAL resolutions. (NO other reason, please!)

30 fps, again... OK to deal with NTSC resolutions. (Again. Old, deceased, ancient... NOT needed really.)

All the variants of HD 59.97 and the like. (Again... just to be compatible with old systems... there's no REAL reason today for this to even exist!)

So. 

50 FPS for European power rates.

60 for Japanese/American power rates.

All others are a hold back from old systems that were limited by technical capabilities at the time...

{END OF RANT} 

How about we NEVER see this frame rate? This is OLD, BAD Marketing crap to sell cameras that didn't have the memory to record actual 60 fps video. Didn't Peter Jackson, (amongst others,) prove that HFR is highly preferable to low frame rate?

25 fps, OK to deal with old PAL resolutions. (NO other reason, please!)

30 fps, again... OK to deal with NTSC resolutions. (Again. Old, deceased, ancient... NOT needed really.)

All the variants of HD 59.97 and the like. (Again... just to be compatible with old systems... there's no REAL reason today for this to even exist!)

So. 

50 FPS for European power rates.

60 for Japanese/American power rates.

All others are a hold back from old systems that were limited by technical capabilities at the time...

{END OF RANT} 

Speak not of that which you nothing about.  Not every WO show is made for consumption by the human eye.  Frame rates DO matter.  The VAST majority of content for television is still shot 23.98p/59.94i.  There is a whole world outside of staging events...

Would love to see the minimum framerate in Show Preferences dropped to 23.976...

I am just curious. What display device do you use that supports 23.976?

Remember, even if WATCHOUT offered that frame rate, it would not make any difference 

unless the device connected to the output provided EDID confirming 23.976 fps.

Without that, does not matter what WATCHOUT requests,

available resolution and refresh rate is specifically determined by the EDID of the connected device.