Feature Request ? Post here

Dimi

Is possible to extend Input/output control?

At moment is possible only with Midi / DMX.
I can't use MIDI  because I always use Midi controller. ( only 1 Midi interface is possible to use at same time)

I'ld like to create some interface to controll the task.
For example is very simple with PIC microcontroller generate some UART / RS232 command,
but I need to interface my hardware with Watchout, at moment into "INPUT" task I can't add RS232 or other interface.

Thanks.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is possible to extend Input/output control?

At moment is possible only with Midi / DMX.

RESPONSE: You are omitting the most powerful one - IP is available for both input and output as well.

I can't use MIDI  because I always use Midi controller. ( only 1 Midi interface is possible to use at same time)

I'ld like to create some interface to controll the task.

For example is very simple with PIC microcontroller generate some UART / RS232 command,

but I need to interface my hardware with Watchout, at moment into "INPUT" task I can't add RS232 or other interface.

Thanks.

You can input / output RS-232 or RS422 via an IP-Serial interface added to the WATCHOUT network.

Staging companies in the US have been doing serial interface that way

ever since the output device appeared in v4.

Most WATCHOUT computers do not provide the anachronistic serial interface.

Using an IP-Serial interface eliminates any dependence on a serial interface in a computer,

allowing standard computers to be used for hardware swaps when needed.

Hi Dataton Team,

I'm playing a bit with the new Watchpax 2 and am quiet surprised how good it is, transparent, plug and play, sewing and singing... (well, actually I didn't have any doubt about).

The only one thing I'm missing is the possibility to feed the power through PoE, which would avoid the necessity of any extra power socket in complex or unavailable situations. Also I'm missing the Triacs but I know those are not needed anymare ;-)

Cheers

Thanks jfk,

I have not mentioned voluntarily network because it's not so easy to create interfaces for sensor ( pir, proximity, infrared, hall etc. ) that communicate with the network.

My idea is to create a GPIO interface that connects to the pc with a usb to uart ( or rs232 ),

but into watchout I need to have "  Add input ( or output ) " from COMx. or from UART.

Feature request:

Having the option to see the geometry correction grids on the Displays would be awesome! I can make some really nice grid patterns but being able to see the real grid, or turn it on and off, would be a hugely useful tool for me and hopefully others!

I have used the Resolume program before and their display output GUI works great, showing not only the grid on the display surfaces, but your cursor so you intuitively know where you are at all times.

Should I post more feature requests here??

1: The ability to add "display arrays". It would be nice to say:

Select Add Array
Then select Number Of Displays for the array (2 or more)
Then select the resolution of the array Displays (1400x1050, 1920x1080, etc)
Then select % overlap or # of pixel overlap (# of pixels would be better for me but some might want %? I don't know...)
Then select Horizontal or Vertical layout.
Then select Done or Apply and have WatchOUT add multiple displays that are pre-aligned with the proper overlap.

Thanks!
Brian Lynn

I agree! A simple "Wizard" or 2 in the GUI would be a great help for quickly setting up simple scenarios. I don't want wizards to overtake the program, but some things just take unnecessary time.

Default fades for cues would be nice... Beats fiddling with / copying of opacity handles. Or was this already requested? Of course with a general duration setting somewhere.

Along these lines, I've been asked numerous times for a "simple slideshow... you know, just throw these 58 JPGs with a 1 sec dissolve and an 8 sec hang time...", but then after doing these 58 redundant settings, (and the 15 fixes of my boredom screwing up!) the client says: "Or, how about a 1.5 dissolve, with a 6 sec hang time?"

If I could select all the files, choose "Create Slideshow" and put in the times as needed, then the options would be done in seconds, instead of hours.

Oh yeah, and how about:"No, you're right. Go back to the 1 sec dissolve..."   ARRGGGHHHHHH!!!

There's GOT to be an easier way!  Please??

Thank you!!

Kevin Lawson

@Bluetonesblue - Re: adding arrays of displays. After trying various apps which calculate softedges but leave you to enter the results by hand, I created a little Java app to do make things a little easier: Choose the resolution, number and orientation of the displays, set the softedge, and the application exports a text file with the display data for pasting into Watchout, as well as alignment images. Works with v4 and v5 of Watchout (not sure how v6 will work yet!). Still a few rough edges, but you can download it from my website if you want to have a look: http://matkeane.com/project/watchout-display-builder-app

Are you referring primarily to video playback here?

Mike

Yes - If I can play back a clip at 2x or 0.5x 'normal speed'(the framerate at which it was encoded). OR Better yet, The clip starts at -2x(twice as fast in reverse), with an in time of 10 seconds in clip preferences, then 10 seconds into the 'clip'(along the timeline) I had a key frame that switched it to 1x normal speed, and played out. This would be somewhat of a 'rewind' effect.

All sorts of interesting things could be done with the ability to change the speed at which the clip plays back in reference to the timeline.

Z

Yes - If I can play back a clip at 2x or 0.5x 'normal speed'(the framerate at which it was encoded).

This capability has been announced for WATCHOUT 6. The feature is a setting in the playbacl cue, that allows you to set the playback speed as a percentage of the nominal speed.

Mike

Yes - If I can play back a clip at 2x or 0.5x 'normal speed'(the framerate at which it was encoded).

This capability has been announced for WATCHOUT 6. The feature is a setting in the playbacl cue, that allows you to set the playback speed as a percentage of the nominal speed.

Mike

OR Better yet, The clip starts at -2x(twice as fast in reverse), with an in time of 10 seconds in clip preferences, then 10 seconds into the 'clip'(along the timeline) I had a key frame that switched it to 1x normal speed, and played out. This would be somewhat of a 'rewind' effect.

From the answer given, I assume key-framing the playback speed along the timeline is not available in the upcoming version?...yet???

Thomas

Are you referring primarily to video playback here?

Mike

Hi Mike,

With Respect to speed, I have had multiple needs

1. the need to Either Playback a Specific Timeline/Comp at a Faster Rate - this timeline may have images or video in it.
  2. Set a Particular Video/ to Playback at a Faster Rate

With Respect to Looping,

1. It would be great to have the ability to playback a video in reverse and have the similar option while making a clip a free running loop.

• 1 month later...

I think WATCHOUT should be able to use more than one MIDI Device. 

Well that is a misleading statement.

WATCHOUT supports as many devices as MIDI permits, which is quite a few.

So far I have not encountered any situation where that is insufficient.

There is an install of 36 WATCHPAX in use here

that supports over 160 MIDI connected pushbuttons.

Been running for over a year now quite trouble free.

Now WATCHOUT uses Windows MIDI services

and that is limited to one MIDI connection,

but that in no way restricts the number of MIDI devices.

I just have not encountered any situation yet

where the MIDI input support of WATCHOUT is insufficient.

As for multiple USB connections for multiple MIDI adaptors,

that is not the correct way to implement a MIDI buss.

• 3 months later...

A Preview Feature!

If possible, a Preview feature (before Watchout sends to the outputs: aka 'Take') for Aux Timelines (which would include Live Video inputs in an Aux Timeline). 

If there is a workaround to this in the present WO5 and WO6 feature set, pray tell.

Thomas Leong

Edit:

An idea would be a toggle Preview button for Aux Timelines which pops up a Preview window (like the Input/Output/Task/etc windows do).

A Preview Feature!

If there is a workaround to this in the present WO5 and WO6 feature set, pray tell.

Something I commonly do is copy/paste my clips to a utility(preview) display, and have them freeroll one second earlier than the actual content. I add a second of pre-roll to my actual content and pause it half a second before the actual content starts. That way I can see(or more importantly the client wanting preview can see) the content that's about to play and I have my clip loaded.

Z

• 6 months later...
  • Dataton Partner

Hey guys,

need to add a lot of dmx-channels as input-control for an upcoming job. Creating each channel (need at least 160ch) is teadious.

Anyone care to share a copy-paste of his/her input list where one has used such number of inputs?

As an added note for a feature request = would be awesome if we could automate the creation of a certain number of dmx-channels ;-)

Thanks!

Walter