Windows 10 & Watchout 6

jonathanpkpictures

No there is no WATCHOUT Windows 10 tweak list.

If it is anything like 8, someday 10.1 should come closer to the mark.

From what I have read in other lists, you might want to be conservative.

Nothing but negative comments, must common comments relate to  slow down and crashing.

Seems drivers become an issue, be sure you have Windows 10 certified drivers

for all of your hardware (motherboard, all PCIe cards, drives, peripherals {even fancy keyboards}, etc) 

before even considering it.

You can share your expierences with Windows 10 on FaceBook group "Windows 10 Disasters".

Great learning group, just started off.

did not see any smilies - damned if I can find that, search does not seem to work for groups,

but Facebook is always a bit confusing to me.

Is it not possible to provide a link for such a reference?

I've done some initial tests, and it seems to work fine so far. There's a newer version of the dongle software (available from https://www.wibu.com/downloads-user-software.html),that explicitly supports Windows 10, which was released after WATCHOUT 6.0, so you may want to download and install that update after installing WATCHOUT (should be included in the next version).

Please share your findings here.

Oh; one quick note. If you want to make the display sofware auto-launch, it's a bit harder to find the Startup folder than it used to be. Here's a page that describes how to get to it:

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-10&faq=28

Mike

Hey hey,

after my first work with WO6, I realized that some very important are not working as in version 5:

Time ruler scrolling: Strg + Mousewheel

Only works if mouse cursor is positioned at the bottom scrollbar of the timeline window.

Timeline scrolling: Shift + Mousewheel

Only works if mouse cursor is positioned at the bottom scrollbar of the timeline window.

Double click to cue in stage window doesn't open media cue specifications.

For me, these missing workflow tools are very disturbing, if I have to edit timelines in a short time.

cheers,

marco 

Time ruler scrolling: Strg + Mousewheel

It works, with the cursor anywhere in the timeline window. May I ask what Windows version you're using? It might also be worthwhile check out if you have any special mouse/mouse-wheel utility installed

Timeline scrolling: Shift + Mousewheel

Same answer as above: It works!

Double click to cue in stage window doesn't open media cue specifications.

It works if you select the media and press Enter (but not with a double-click as you say)

Hey,

I am working curently with Windows 10. Could be a problem with the OS. No additional mouse software installed. Only as HID device.

With a generic HID driver and a mouse not acting as expected,

you should look for a windows 10 driver from the mouse vendor.

We have been able to reproduce this problem under Windows 10. It appears to be caused by some new behavior introduced in Windows 10. To avoid this problem, go to Start-button, Settings, Devices, Mouse & touchpad and turn off “Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them”. The scroll wheel should now work as before in Watchout.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Windows 10 and WO 6 on my Surface Pro just for preprogramming and previewing showfiles.  There seems to be a memory leak somewhere that causes my computer to crash when running WO 6 (haven't tried 5 yet).  The system isn't configured specifically for Watchout but I can't leave it sitting in the background for too long or my computer completely locks up.  I've had the display driver crash as well.

Another bug I've run into is that if I try to scroll layers the layers and the layer labels scroll independently of each other with the mouse scroll wheel.  They then jump back to where they were before scrolling if any editting is done.  Scrolling via the scroll bar works fine.  This may be related to the other mouse scroll issues as I haven't tried changing that setting.

I've been using Windows 10 and WO 6 on my Surface Pro just for preprogramming and previewing showfiles.  There seems to be a memory leak somewhere that causes my computer to crash when running WO 6 (haven't tried 5 yet).  The system isn't configured specifically for Watchout but I can't leave it sitting in the background for too long or my computer completely locks up.  I've had the display driver crash as well.

It is pretty impressive that the Surface Pro supports accelerated DirectX 3D graphics

and all the other sub-systems are DirectX compliant.

Still that is a very high demand for such compact hardware.

Now the question is just how well it supports DirectX.

i.e.  this really sounds like a hardware / driver issue,

and memory leaks in immature drivers are not all that unusual.

Yes, we have encountered bugs in WATCHOUT 6, but nothing that looks like a memory leak.

Sounds like WATCHOUT is exercising portions of Windows on your hardware

that are not commonly encountered with other applications,

and that is bringing the hardware / driver issues to the forefront.

Have you done any web searching on issues other users encounter with your chosen hardware?

Another bug I've run into is that if I try to scroll layers the layers and the layer labels scroll independently of each other with the mouse scroll wheel.  They then jump back to where they were before scrolling if any editting is done.  Scrolling via the scroll bar works fine.  This may be related to the other mouse scroll issues as I haven't tried changing that setting.

That's fixed by my comment above. Here it is again:

It appears to be caused by some new behavior introduced in Windows 10. To avoid this problem, go to Start-button, Settings, Devices, Mouse & touchpad and turn off “Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them”. The scroll wheel should now work as before in Watchout.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I have the same error on a Win10 Display machine. It has a Radeon card (do not know which one) and I am pretty shure that the newest ATI drivers are loaded. What is the recommended procedure to get rid of the problem, deinstall and then reinstall the graphics driver? Zak, have you been able to solve the problem? If so, how? 

Regards, 

Michael

Yes, I can confirm that WO 5 and 6 Production works great on Windows 10. With WO 5 I experienced that it was even more stable on Win10 that on Win 7 (same machine, after an upgrade from Win 7 to 10 there where no more hickups at all). But my question was about a Display-Computer. I needed a Display machine and only had a Win10 computer, so I installed the software and got the error  ""Operating System Error: - 2147467259 unspecified error; Too complex effects" that Zak also had some time ago. I´ll give it a try today with changing the display card driver, if that doesn´t work, I´ll take a "real" display computer (Win7 tweaked to the WO-specs...). I was wondering if anybody else came across the same error and found a solution. 

Regards, 

Michael

The "Too complex effects" error is definitely display driver related. WATCHOUT 6 runs fine on Win10. The only issue I'm aware of is the mouse wheen scrolling problem, which can be solved using a setting in Windows (discussed elsewhere on the forum). The WATCHOUT 6 User's Guide discusses installation and setup of Windows 10 (although it also supports Windows 7).