Sending rs232 commands from display computer

Croonquist

Hi, how can I send rs232 commands to different com ports on the display computer?

You can not.

One and only one com port is supported per display computer, and it is always COM1.

I am trying to control 5 DVI switchers from the timeline.

Best regards,

Christian Croonquist

Most customers use IP to serial convertors to accomodate multiple rs-232 ports.

Makes the com ports independent of the display computers

so when you swap in a backup there is more flexibility

without any additional serial port needs.

• 3 months later...

Hello All,

We have a Kissbox RS4tr 4port serial over ip box in a show. We are having a little trouble getting commands to the Barco SLM r12+ for dowser control.

We are sending an output to it's IP address on port 9812, but I'm curious if you need to tell it anything else about which of the 4 ports to go to.

We only need the 1 port to work,

Could be that we have the HEX wrong, but that's a completely different story.

Thanks,

Clint

I believe the kissbox ethernet-to-serial box requires some additional, proprietary prefix to each data packet in order to address the correct port (see section 9.1.4 in their Kiss-Box Editor manual. At least that was the case in the past. For this reason, we have tended to use other ethernet-to-serial solutions that are more transparent "pass-through" devices, not requiring the data to be altered in any way. You may want tot look at the TIBBO and MOXA products. You may also want to check with kissbox to see if they're making any changes in this area.

Mike

• 1 month later...

is there an instruction on how to setup watchout for these devices? I'm trying to use a moxa 5110 to send serial commands to a camera... I can see the moxa device on the network, but i'm not sure how to send the serial command from watchout through the moxa to the camera. Do you have any advice that you can share please?

is there an instruction on how to setup watchout for these devices? I'm trying to use a moxa 5110 to send serial commands to a camera... I can see the moxa device on the network, but i'm not sure how to send the serial command from watchout through the moxa to the camera. Do you have any advice that you can share please?

Not much to go on there. What step is tripping you up?

Creating a String Output set to IP for the Moxa connection? (WO 5.2 UG pg 206) WO 5.2 UG = WATCHOUT 5.2 User Guide

Creating a string command on the timeline for the String Output? (WO 5.2 UG pg 208)

As far as what to type in the string command, that is defined by the camera.

it's strange. I get a serial 'handshake' to the camera and it locks up from external control. When i send the serial commands through watchout no camera response... (sony 990). So i know it's talking it to it, but somehow it's not receiving the commands... I was hoping i can send the moxa a serial command directly (outside of watchout, say through terminal or something...) but i haven't figured out how to do that either....

M

Hi

I try a lot with Watchout to Control such devices: Vista Systems Spyder an Barco Folsom HD are Running. Our TV-One Converter are diifycult.

Spyder looks like this:

spyder$00$00$00$00RSC 0 3 R

Folsom like this:

RTE 1 $0D

When there is not good Manual from the Device its a Try-and-Error-Thing! This is the Case for our TV-Ones where i only plan to use the Freeze Key...

Is there a collection of these commands in this Forum?

Greetings

Daniel

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

We have a Kissbox RS4tr 4port serial over ip box in a show. We are having a little trouble getting commands to the Barco SLM r12+ for dowser control.

We are sending an output to it's IP address on port 9812, but I'm curious if you need to tell it anything else about which of the 4 ports to go to.

We only need the 1 port to work,

Could be that we have the HEX wrong, but that's a completely different story.

Thanks,

Clint

Hi Clint,

I have encountered this problem with RS4TR in order to send out a rs232 command to panasonic projector ew6300.

have you got the solutions finally?

http://forum.dataton.com/topic/815-remote-controlling-with-watchout-problems/?p=2947

The Thread above has a great section on PJLink. Your projector has it, and it's loads easier than serial.

Yes. you are right. And it works perfect via TCP/IP.

I just want to give a test with KISSBOX RS4tr to see if it can convert TCP/IP command to RS232 generally. I may it in to control some lighting stuff in the future project. Anyway, thank you for your reply.

• 2 years later...

Hi all. 

Wondering if anyone has made a good working string output for the serial kiss box? I know this is an old thread, but I got my kiss box right now, and I dont know how to use it. yet.

Trying send strings from WO to my dw6300panasonic projector via the RS2TR unit.

Anyone with an example string I could learn from? may options here, so a lot of trial and until now only error.

T

• 2 years later...
  • Dataton Partner

Hi Songyost,

The RS2TR basically works with simple UDP command strings ( like the IOCC units )

The datagrams are :

- 4 bytes identifying the type of message / the command / the physical port ( “connector" 1 or 2 ) / the amount of following string of data bytes
- X bytes containing the actual serial data string

You set it up with the Editor software ( IP address / Port ) and set set it to Automatic UDP for watchout
The 2 ports are identified by the 4 byte message header

So to control "Fog Level 1" through RS232 port 1 you should probably send

UDP     $A8$00$00$05$3A$46$31$4E$0D

The red byte defines the remaining bytes - could be $04, just try it.

An extract of the manual is attached. It works for the 2 port version as for the legacy 4 port version.

Hope it helps

Rainer

RS2TR.pdf

to  RBeddig

my fog machine they have no ip address how about the string output setting

output port name       xxxxxxxx

and whicth one we have to selected  ?     serial port or network port 

and display name ?

data rate 9600

parity non

I donot understanding  how to setting up string output

pls.help us

thankyou 

songyost k

2 hours ago, songyost kesornsuwan said:

... my fog machine they have no ip address how about the string output setting ...

Of course not, the fog machine uses a serial port.

The KISS box that converts IP to serial does have an IP address, that is the address you enter.

• Dataton Partner

I would take the following steps...

a) connect the KISSBOX to the network and find it with your KISSBOX editor software. Check the IP address and port of the unit and take a note.

b) use a telnet programm (e.g. Putty) and try to send the commands from there to the IP address/port of the KISSBOX. Use UDP to send the data! Probably you do not need to add the CR/LF (x0D) when using Putty since pressing the Enter key just adds this by itself.

If it works from there it should also work from WATCHOUT.